cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stubisch
New Contributor

Bootps Error - DHCP Relay Issue

Jump to solution

This one has me pulling whats left of my hair out.  Hoping its something simple that i am overlooking.  I am trying to have 2 scopes on my DHCP serving differnt VLANs.

I have in place:

Win2003 DHCP server statically assigned as 192.168.1.3 with 2 active scopes:  192.168.1.x and 10.10.30.x

Netvanta 1224-STR-PWR VLANed with the Default VLAN 1 as 192.168.1.1 and VLAN2 as 10.10.31.254.  DHCP server port is assigned to VLAN1

IP Helper config has been set on the VLAN2 interface, as 192.168.1.3

My issue is that clients on ports assigned to VLAN2 do not get an ip address from the DHCP server.  Clients on VLAN1 get an IP no problem from the 192.168.1.x range.

When I try to add Bootps to the UDP forward, the switch gives me an error saying it can't add it...no other info.

When I manually assign a 10.10.30.x ip to a client, i can access and reach everything in both vlans....I can ping the VLAN interfaces from the DHCP server.

Any help as to what I might be missing is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bootps Error - DHCP Relay Issue

Jump to solution

I think k it works fine if you do not have dhcp enabled. The original all concept is sound.

The newer 1200 series switches 123x allow for dhcp relay config statements on the vlan interface. They allow for both relay and running dhcp service. It's a very nice feature.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Could you post your config (minus sensitive information)?

The bootps can not be added as a forward-protocol if the DHCP server is enabled on the 1224.  Make sure you have not DHCP server pools defined in your configuration. 

Thanks

R\

Message was edited by: vmaxdawg05

Jump to solution

Yes, I do have DHCP enable on the 1224....for our VOIP.  So am I out of luck to try and use this type of configuration?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

You could put your VOIP address scope on your dhcp server as well. Then add your VOIP VLAN to IP helper configuration. That would work.

Jump to solution

true, definitely could move the pool onto the server.

is it fair to say that the original concept is not able to happen on the 1224 series? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I think k it works fine if you do not have dhcp enabled. The original all concept is sound.

The newer 1200 series switches 123x allow for dhcp relay config statements on the vlan interface. They allow for both relay and running dhcp service. It's a very nice feature.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thanks bud....I appreciate the answer and sanity check.  The office needs all around equipment updates, so i'll add it to the list!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

My pleasure. Keep in mind that the 123x series are switches. They have layer 3 lite capabilities with the newest firmware, but are not an all-in-one switch/router/firewall. The NetVanta 1335 is pretty much the exact replacement for the 1224STR. It has better hardware and firmware of course.

R\