cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't Get 1544F to Provide DHCP to Managed Switch

Jump to solution

I ran another test last week. I configured a Netvanta 1544F to provide DHCP addresses to the management interface on an N-TRON managed switch. I attempted to use the MAC address as well as the client ID and the client name. The Netvanta would not assign an IP address to this switch. It appears that the issue is in the ADTRAN DHCP server firmware.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can't Get 1544F to Provide DHCP to Managed Switch

Jump to solution

- If the client is requesting an IP address after the 1544F has already offered it one, then you will need to look at the client. It will be helpful to get a packet capture off the client. You would need to see whether it is accepting the IP address the 1544F is offering it and confirming if it is resending a DISCOVER broadcast after it receives the the IP address from the 1544F.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Noor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

- I've branched your question to another discussion since this involves a NetVanta switch performing the role of a DHCP server to a 3rd party switch.

It would be helpful to see a packet capture of the DHCP exchange between the N-TRON managed switch and the 1544F. Also, could you post the DHCP pool configuration on the 1544F? This should help us determine where in the DHCP process the exchange is being stalled.

Thanks,

Noor

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I've included some additional info here. The N-TRON switch is not listed in this post. I believe that a local tech has altered the configuration in the 1544F. We've also noticed and don't have a handle on why some devices are requesting IP addresses using MAC addresses that are different than we expected. The addresses that the devices are sending is not an extended ID but a different MAC address. We are still researching that.

The reason that I am adding this post is the anomoly that appears in the debug info at the end of this post. Some devices continue to request IP addresses after the 1544F has responded with an address.

I realize that this isn't much to go on but maybe someone else has experienced a similar situation.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

- If the client is requesting an IP address after the 1544F has already offered it one, then you will need to look at the client. It will be helpful to get a packet capture off the client. You would need to see whether it is accepting the IP address the 1544F is offering it and confirming if it is resending a DISCOVER broadcast after it receives the the IP address from the 1544F.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Noor

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

- I went ahead and flagged this post as “Assumed Answered.”  If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as either Correct or Helpful answers with the applicable buttons.  This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily.  If you still need assistance, I would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let me know in a reply.

Thanks,

Noor

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post and unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Levi