cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

DHCP server per vlan

Jump to solution

I have a 1534P and want to use it's DHCP server and restrict it to a certain VLAN.  Is this possible?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: DHCP server per vlan

Jump to solution

Not directly, but yes.

Adtran's DHCP server is well-behaved and will only respond on a VLAN that is both:

1. IP enabled for layer 3 routing on the device
  2. On the subnet specified in the network statement of the DHCP server

There are other DHCP servers in use that are not so well-behaved, including Microsoft Windows. You need to ensure that only VLANs in the subnet(s) on which the Windows server is providing DHCP appear on  any port to which a Windows DHCP server is connected.  Otherwise the Windows server will "jump" the VLAN and assign addresses on the wrong subnet, even if the VLAN in question isn't configured on the Windows server itself.  This is a typical cause of phones being assigned IPs on the data subnet instead of voice.  The fix is to configure the port to which the Windows server is connected is an access port on the data VLAN only.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

Not directly, but yes.

Adtran's DHCP server is well-behaved and will only respond on a VLAN that is both:

1. IP enabled for layer 3 routing on the device
  2. On the subnet specified in the network statement of the DHCP server

There are other DHCP servers in use that are not so well-behaved, including Microsoft Windows. You need to ensure that only VLANs in the subnet(s) on which the Windows server is providing DHCP appear on  any port to which a Windows DHCP server is connected.  Otherwise the Windows server will "jump" the VLAN and assign addresses on the wrong subnet, even if the VLAN in question isn't configured on the Windows server itself.  This is a typical cause of phones being assigned IPs on the data subnet instead of voice.  The fix is to configure the port to which the Windows server is connected is an access port on the data VLAN only.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info.  I got the DHCP server working but I need to restrict the address range which it gives out to clients.  Is there a way to restrict it to a range within my subnet?  Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Never mind, I found where to exclude ip ranges.  Thanks