cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to create a VLAN on Netvanta 1234

Jump to solution

I have never created a vlan before and would like help. Can someone be kind enough to give me step by step instructions?

Thanks so much,

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to create a VLAN on Netvanta 1234

Jump to solution

:

Thank you for asking this question in the Support Community.  There are several different ways to create VLANs on an ADTRAN switch.  The NetVanta 1234, by default, has the VLAN 1 interface enabled with an IP address of 10.10.10.1 /24, and all switchports are assigned to VLAN 1.  The VLAN interface is for management purposes (i.e. logging into the unit via telnet, SSH, HTTP, or HTTPS for configuration changes and troubleshooting; there can be only one active VLAN interface on the unit).

To configure additional VLANs on the NetVanta 1234 via the command line interface (CLI) issue the following commands:

SWITCH-NAME# configure terminal

SWITCH-NAME(config)# vlan <number>

To assign a VLAN to a specific switchport issue the following commands (VLAN 1 is assigned to all interfaces by default):

SWITCH-NAME(config)# interface switchport 0/<interface number>

SWITCH-NAME(config-swx 0/x)# switchport access vlan <number>

To configure VLANs in the web interface and get a general overview about the switching menu, please review the Understanding the Switch Menu in the AOS Web Interface document.

I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to reply to this post with any additional questions or information.  I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

Thank you for asking this question in the Support Community.  There are several different ways to create VLANs on an ADTRAN switch.  The NetVanta 1234, by default, has the VLAN 1 interface enabled with an IP address of 10.10.10.1 /24, and all switchports are assigned to VLAN 1.  The VLAN interface is for management purposes (i.e. logging into the unit via telnet, SSH, HTTP, or HTTPS for configuration changes and troubleshooting; there can be only one active VLAN interface on the unit).

To configure additional VLANs on the NetVanta 1234 via the command line interface (CLI) issue the following commands:

SWITCH-NAME(config)# vlan <number>

To assign a VLAN to a specific switchport issue the following commands (VLAN 1 is assigned to all interfaces by default):

SWITCH-NAME(config)# interface switchport 0/<interface number>

SWITCH-NAME(config-swx 0/x)# switchport access vlan <number>

To configure VLANs in the web interface and get a general overview about the switching menu, please review the Understanding the Switch Menu in the AOS Web Interface document.

I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to reply to this post with any additional questions or information.  I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

The Netvanta 1234 is a layer 2 switch that supports VLANs and multiple VLAN interfaces. The default VLAN is #1 and should remain the default VLAN. I typically leave VLAN #1 enabled on port #1 and use it for switch management. The default IP address from Adtran is 10.10.10.1.

To use the command line interface, you can connect to the CONSOLE port with a DB9 connector. You can also telnet to 10.10.10.1 provided the switch is at the default settings.

You can also access the switch at 10.10.10.1 using HTML from your browser.

I prefer the command line interface. When you connect you will have to go into ENABLE mode for which you will need the password. The default password is password.

Switch> enable

(it will prompt for the password)

Switch# show ip in brief    (displays any configured IP interfaces which includes VLANs)

(Note the # sign prompt. This indicates ENABLE mode.)

Switch# config t

Switch (config)# vlan 99   (This simple command creates a VLAN which is number 99. Now you have to decide what you are going to do with it.)

Switch (config-vlan-99)# exit

Switch (config)#

You will have to assign the VLAN to any ports that you want connected to the VLAN. You may need to create an Interface for the VLAN. I suggest that you search the Adtran website for white papers that describe configuring VLANS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

This document might be helpful.

Configuring InterVLAN Routing in AOS

Message was edited by: levi (I modified this to link to the Support Community document instead of the Knowledgebase document)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

-

I went ahead and flagged this post as “Assumed Answered.”  If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as either Correct or Helpful answers with the applicable buttons.  This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily.  If you still need assistance, I would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let me know in a reply.

Thanks,

Noor

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post and unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Levi