cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rsa
New Contributor

NetVanta 1234 Serial issue

Jump to solution

I'm trying to get into my new NetVanta 1234 PoE Switch via Serial to configure it, but I'm having a hell of a time doing it.

I've googled the following connection settings...

VT100, 9600, 8bit, 1 stop bit, no flow control

and with those settings I can see the flood of data on a cold boot, but what I can't seem to do is get my switch to hear my ESC keypress, and it just happily continues to boot after the 5 second pause.  I'm using a XP pro box for my connection and first tried HyperTerminal, then after that didn't work, I thought I'd give it another shot with Putty; and that didn't work either...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Derek

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NetVanta 1234 Serial issue

Jump to solution

I have had some issues with USB to serial in the past.

If it's built in to the motherboard you should be good.

It uses a straight through.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi rsa,

Do you have another cable you can test with?

Are you using a USB to serial adapter?

rsa
New Contributor

Jump to solution

I'm using an actual DB9 serial port on the motherboard, and I can check with another cable on Monday.  Just to be sure though, it should be just a standard null cable right?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I have had some issues with USB to serial in the past.

If it's built in to the motherboard you should be good.

It uses a straight through.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

-

I went ahead and flagged this post as “Assumed Answered.”  If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as either Correct or Helpful answers with the applicable buttons.  This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily.  If you still need assistance, I would be more than happy to work with you on this - just let me know in a reply.

Thanks,

Noor

rsa
New Contributor

Jump to solution

Sorry, its just hard to reset this device at any given time as it takes down all of our users desk phones, and their local printers which are connected through the desk phones extra LAN port.  I'll try to get in before the rest of the office tomorrow and play with it again with a new cable as suggested.  Another thought I had is to not be remoted into the client computer via our remote control software.  I'll try that first, if it still doesn't work, I'll grab a different cable.

rsa
New Contributor

Jump to solution

Okay, I tried with while be directly connected to the client system, instead of remote controlling it over the LAN.  Still no luck.  Looking to try another computer, a older laptop running Windows 2000 with a built-in com port, and I have a few cables, but I need to check they are all straight Null cables...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

- I think may have already mentioned this, but you will need to make sure that the console cable you are using is a straightthrough serial cable. A null cable will not work. You can test whether you have a working cable or not by doing a paperclip test on it. The instructions on how to perform this test are listed below:

**Note:** It will be easier if there are 2 people to run this test. One person can hold the paperclip in place while the other person types.

1. You will first need to make sure that you have the cable plugged into your PC and a console session open as if you were consoling into the AOS device.

2. Hold the other end of the console cable so that the 5-pin row is on top.

3. Take a metal paper clip and touch Pins 2 and 3 (second and third pins from the left). Make sure those are the only 2 pins that are being touched by the paper clip and also make sure you are not touching the metal edge either.

4. While holding the paper clip in place, try and type something into the console session.

If you see what you are typing, then this verifies that the cable is a good one. However, this test will also work for null modem cables so you will want to confirm that you are using a straightthrough serial cable when consoling into an AOS device.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Noor

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post and unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Levi