cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

NetVanta 1238P High CPU utilization

Hello,

Im working with GPO and software deployment therein. This morning I pushed out Adobe Reader and Chrome to 35 users and it basically tanked my NetVanta's. The CPU utilization was ~77% for about an hour this morning. I was wondering of there were something I could set in the switches to help deal with loads that high. I wouldn't think that a couple of 40mb apps would have such an impact on performance if I had things set up optimally. I shudder to think what would happen if i chose to deploy Office in this current config. CPU

It should also be noted I have a Shoretel VOIP system that isn't QoS'd or VLAN'd but that shouldn't be a factor since people were just loggig in.

Thanks

J

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NetVanta 1238P High CPU utilization

Hi J:

ADTRAN brags about non-blocking throughput (all switchports able to send/receive at full link speed simultaneously) for their NetVanta switches.  My own experience has been pretty much that.  One would expect a transient peak in CPU load during periods of higher activity, but 77% over an hour seems a bit much to me.  Could there have been something else happening around the same time?

I have noticed some high(er-than-it-should-be) CPU load on some old firmware.  Can you update to the highest extended maintenance release (R10.9.x as of this writing), if your switch is not already there?

CJ

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes we are on 10.9

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would definitely make sure the firmware is up to date.  I'm sure CPU load needs to ramp up when the switch gets busier, but I don't have a feel for exactly how it should scale.  Perhaps someone from ADTRAN (or with better experience) can provide a general guideline.  If it's problematic or causing issues in your LAN, then I wouldn't mess around.  ADTRAN's switch warranties are fantastic!  A call into support might be worth your time if you suspect a malfunction.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry about the ninja edit. We are on R10.9. Id hate to have to pass on GPO software management. It makes life a bit easier. I guess, ill see how things go tomorrow. Im going to release Java via GPO and see how that flys.

We have 3 other locations connected over 6x6Mb dedicated Metro..if the LAN gets killed they will be obliterated with this unless I put a server at each location.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I could see the 6M link being a bottle neck if you're pushing sizable updates.  But if your non-blocking NetVanta switch isn't keeping up for some reason, I would say that needs to be fixed.  There may be various reasons for/against centralized software management through GP, however, your enterprise-grade switch should not be of any concern. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well stated sir! maybe Ill call Support and get their opinions.

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Is it a Generation 1 switch?  Check this thread: 

Anonymous
Not applicable

These are the NAvy blue ones...not the blue / white so I believe they are G2. I would hope they are as I just bought them 2 months ago

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can verify the part number (listed on initial page in the GUI or "show version" in the CLI).  Just search it on adtran.com.  Yours would be G2, but handy if you manage other switches and ever need to look.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep: 1702599G1 and remotely 1702595G1

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

-

I went ahead and flagged this post as "Assumed Answered". If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as Correct or Helpful as the case may be with the applicable buttons. This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you have any additional information on this that others may benefit from, please come back to this post to provide an update. If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Noor