cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dre
New Contributor

SNMP for Multiple devices

Jump to solution

Looking for a solution to monitor multiple Adtran devices via SNMP.  I have a Netvanta 1224r as my edge device, and I have one public IP on this.  The problem I seem to have is I have a SNMP server which can access this 1224r via the Community string on this 1224r device.  But lets say I have an Adtran 1234 switch behind it and a couple other Adtran devices, how do I monitor these?  I would like to somehow monitor these devices without needing a public IP on them.  Anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SNMP for Multiple devices

Jump to solution

:

Thank you for asking this question in the support community.  Unfortunately, I cannot think of an easy solution without having multiple public IP addresses, where you could either create a DMZ or do port forwards. 

One option is to do Network Address Translation/Port Address Translation on the edge device (1224R) if you can modify the port the SNMP server uses to communicate.  For example, if you had the SNMP server poll the public IP address of the 1224R on a random port (i.e. 222 in this example) intended for the 1234, then the 1224R could translate the port from 222 to 161 and forward the request to the 1234 behind the 1224R.

I hope that makes sense, but if you have any questions or additional information, please do not hesitate to reply to this post.  I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

Thank you for asking this question in the support community.  Unfortunately, I cannot think of an easy solution without having multiple public IP addresses, where you could either create a DMZ or do port forwards. 

One option is to do Network Address Translation/Port Address Translation on the edge device (1224R) if you can modify the port the SNMP server uses to communicate.  For example, if you had the SNMP server poll the public IP address of the 1224R on a random port (i.e. 222 in this example) intended for the 1234, then the 1224R could translate the port from 222 to 161 and forward the request to the 1234 behind the 1224R.

I hope that makes sense, but if you have any questions or additional information, please do not hesitate to reply to this post.  I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

I went ahead and flagged this post as “Assumed Answered.”  If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as either Correct or Helpful answers with the applicable buttons.  This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily.  If you still need assistance, I would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let me know in a reply.

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post and unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Levi