cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tmb_ne
New Contributor

vlan communication

Jump to solution

I have a Netvanta 1234ST connected to an HP Procurve 3500yl.  On the Netvanta I have setup the trunk port and allowed vlan 2, and on the 3500yl I tagged vlan 2.  Next I have setup a port on the NetVanta with switchport mode access and switchport access vlan 2 and on the 3500yl I have a port untagged vlan 2.  From the Netvanta, I can ping the device on the 3500yl, but from the 3500yl, I can not ping the device on the NetVanta.  What have I missed in this configuration?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: vlan communication

Jump to solution

:

The device plugged into the ADTRAN is not marking the traffic with a VLAN tag, but you need to ADTRAN switchport to be configured for VLAN 2; therefore, when the traffic arrives on the ADTRAN on that switchport, the ADTRAN will apply a VLAN 2 tag on traffic that arrived on that port when it is sent over the trunk port.  I recommend configuring the switchport with the device plugged into it (eth 0/1 in your example) with only the switchport access vlan 2.

Levi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

Thank you for asking this question in the support community.

Based on your description, there may be a few settings that need to be modified.  The ports connecting the two switches should be configured in trunk mode.  Furthermore, if you have the 3500yl set for untagged in VLAN 2, then you will need to have vlan 2 native configured on the ADTRAN trunk port so it does not expect VLAN 2 to be tagged with a VLAN ID on that trunk port from the 3500yl. 

When you are pinging to test connectivity, are you pinging from the actual switches, or from devices plugged into them?  Are all the IP addresses on the same subnet that you are pinging?  Please, let me know some additional information about the network design, and if you would like to reply with a copy of the ADTRAN configuration, I will be happy to review it for you (please make sure to remove any information that may be sensitive to the organization). 

Levi

tmb_ne
New Contributor

Jump to solution

After some more testing, I am using the following:

(device connected here)

interface eth 0/1 

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 2

switchport trunk native vlan 2

(port connected to HP 3500yl)

interface gigabit-eth 0/1

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 2,3,4,5

switchport trunk native vlan 400 (unused vlan)

The traffice inbound from the HP is tagged with the vlan-id.  From the Adtran, I can ping a device on the HP switch on vlan 2, and from the Adtran to the HP on vlan 2, but not from the HP to the Adtran on vlan 2.

Tom.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

Maybe I misunderstood your first post, but you cannot have the ADTRAN's native VLAN be 2 and the HP's be 400.  Therefore, if VLAN 2 is tagged on the HP, then on the ADTRAN trunk port you should remove the command switchport trunk native vlan 2 and leave the native, untagged VLAN as the default, which is VLAN 1 and doesn't matter in this application.  Also, you need to verify that the port the testing device is plugged into on the ADTRAN is configured as switchport access vlan 2; and the port the device is plugged into on the HP is also configured to VLAN 2.  Furthermore, you need to make sure both of these devices are in the same IP subnetwork.

For additional testing, you can plug two devices into the ADTRAN (PC1 and PC2; both on access ports for VLAN 2) and see if they can ping each other.  Then you can do the same test on the HP (PC3 and PC4; both on access ports for VLAN 2).  If both the PC1 and PC2 can ping each other and PC3 and PC4 can ping each other on the same switch, then see if they can ping a device on the other switch (PC1 pings PC3).  If that fails you know it is a configuration error on the trunk port connecting the two switches.

Please, let me know what questions you have.

Levi

tmb_ne
New Contributor

Jump to solution

The reason I am using the 400 vlan on the trunk port connected to the HP switch, is I don't want any vlan 1 traffic to be forwarded.  The pc connected to the adtran on port 1 is not attaching a vlan tag to the packets it is transmitting, so I want to put the vlan tag on them before sending them on, that is why I am using the native vlan of 2 on that port.  If I use the switchport access vlan 2, then where will the vlan tag be added?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

The device plugged into the ADTRAN is not marking the traffic with a VLAN tag, but you need to ADTRAN switchport to be configured for VLAN 2; therefore, when the traffic arrives on the ADTRAN on that switchport, the ADTRAN will apply a VLAN 2 tag on traffic that arrived on that port when it is sent over the trunk port.  I recommend configuring the switchport with the device plugged into it (eth 0/1 in your example) with only the switchport access vlan 2.

Levi

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

Do you still have questions on this post?  Please, let me know if you do.

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

I went ahead and flagged this post as “Assumed Answered.”  If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as either Correct or Helpful answers with the applicable buttons.  This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily.  If you still need assistance, I would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let me know in a reply.

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post and unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Levi