cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonathanblack
New Contributor III

Configuring 1335 for WAN Failover with Dynamic IPs

Jump to solution

I've followed the guide at Configuring WAN Failover with Network Monitor in AOS , and looked at these discussions:  Static Route vs Network Monitor and Configuring WAN Failover with Network Monitor .  However, none of them seem to address this specific issue:

A client would like to set up WAN failover for a cable connection to a DSL/Uverse connection to ensure network reliability.  However, in both cases, the connections have dynamic IPs.  From what I can tell in the guide and by actually through the setup, in two places, it looks like a static IP is going to be required both for the primary and backup link.  (Set respectively, in the Network Monitor wizard and then later in the Route Table, according to the guide.)

The question is, is there a way to do this with dynamic IP addresses on either (but preferably both) the primary and backup WAN connections.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Configuring 1335 for WAN Failover with Dynamic IPs

Jump to solution

We're on the same wavelength here. I made a similar request over two years ago. See FEATURE REQUEST - Probe with source-interface.  "Brand C" has had this for at least a decade.

You can come close with a route-map as suggested in Configuring WAN Failover with Network Monitor in AOS , but it really doesn't work 100%. If your primary ISP keeps your dynamic address within the same subnet, then you can indeed configure a route-map as suggested pointing to the (static) gateway. If, however, your primary ISP ever dynamically changes the entire subnet assigned to you including the gateway then you're in trouble and things will break badly.

I may have to engage my Adtran sales engineer to make this work. I suggest that you do the same.

In the meantime, if you want it reliable, your only real choice is to get a static IP address from your primary provider, and many will charge extra for this.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

We're on the same wavelength here. I made a similar request over two years ago. See FEATURE REQUEST - Probe with source-interface.  "Brand C" has had this for at least a decade.

You can come close with a route-map as suggested in Configuring WAN Failover with Network Monitor in AOS , but it really doesn't work 100%. If your primary ISP keeps your dynamic address within the same subnet, then you can indeed configure a route-map as suggested pointing to the (static) gateway. If, however, your primary ISP ever dynamically changes the entire subnet assigned to you including the gateway then you're in trouble and things will break badly.

I may have to engage my Adtran sales engineer to make this work. I suggest that you do the same.

In the meantime, if you want it reliable, your only real choice is to get a static IP address from your primary provider, and many will charge extra for this.

0 Kudos
jonathanblack
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

Like you, I've seen this option in other brands for some time and thought I was likely just missing it here.  I was seeing the option here for selecting an interface instead of an IP at the key junctures (Next Hop Interface and Route Table/Gateway Interface), but it was ignored as option in the guide and didn't seem to work when I tried it--maybe it's in the GUI for future use?  Thanks for clarifying the issue!

You're right, we were trying to avoid the extra charge for static IP for my customer, but it looks like it's either that or choose different equipment, for now.

I'll run it by our sales engineer and see what they say, and point back to your long-standing request.