cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Console Port via Usrobotics 56k dialup and hyperterminal

Jump to solution

onI am trying to backdoor a 1335 with two usrobotic modems. Remote site is connected to the 1335 via the console port with serial cable and dip switch settings are 1,2,4,6,7 are down and 3,5,8 are up. Console port is configured to allow all connections. Host site, I am using WIndows 7, hyperterm, and the other usrobitics modem. Dipswitch settings 3,5,8 are down and all the others are up. Hyperterm is set: port speed 9600, Data Protocol: Disabled, Compression: Disabled, Flow control: None, Data bits: 8, Parity: None, Stop bits: 1, Modulation:Standard. Emulation is set to ansi.

I can connect to the modem, but I get a bunch of garabage come accross. I have tryed numerous different settings and power cycled each piece of equipment several times.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Console Port via Usrobotics 56k dialup and hyperterminal

Jump to solution

Chris,

I had a couple of suggestions to try and figure out what is going on. Usually garbage on the screen points to either a 'dirty' phone line/cable or a mismatch in terminal settings with the device.

Within Hyperterminal, we usually keep the emulation set to 'auto-detect' or 'VT100'. I noticed you mentioned that you had this set to ANSI. It may be worth changing this and see if it helps. We usually keep all Hyperterminal settings at default except for the port settings. This is where the following settings are needed:

Bits per second: 9600

Data bits: 8

Parity: none

Stop bits: 1

Flow control: None

Based on the fact that you were able to eventually get it to connect may point to a dirty phone line or null modem cable. Have you tried connecting using a different phone line or tried to dial into another device?

Thanks,

Noor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

- Your dipswitch settings on both modems are correct. The modem connecting to the router should have dipswitches 1,2,4,6,7 DOWN and 3,5,8 UP. It should be vice-versa for the modem connecting to your PC with 1,2,4,6,7 UP and 3,5,8 DOWN.

I noticed that you mentioned you were using a serial cable between the modem and the NetVanta console port. This cable actually needs to be a null modem cable and not a straight-through serial cable. Have you tried with a null modem cable yet?

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Noor

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I do apologize, we were and are currently using a null modem cables and not a straight through. The cables just have serial connections. I was eventually able to gain acces to the remote site, but it took several attempts and the majority of the time the output that was provided was what I call garbage, random characters running across the HyperTerm session. This is still an issue and not too sure why I am still having this problems. Any insight would be greatly appreciated....

Chris

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Chris,

I had a couple of suggestions to try and figure out what is going on. Usually garbage on the screen points to either a 'dirty' phone line/cable or a mismatch in terminal settings with the device.

Within Hyperterminal, we usually keep the emulation set to 'auto-detect' or 'VT100'. I noticed you mentioned that you had this set to ANSI. It may be worth changing this and see if it helps. We usually keep all Hyperterminal settings at default except for the port settings. This is where the following settings are needed:

Bits per second: 9600

Data bits: 8

Parity: none

Stop bits: 1

Flow control: None

Based on the fact that you were able to eventually get it to connect may point to a dirty phone line or null modem cable. Have you tried connecting using a different phone line or tried to dial into another device?

Thanks,

Noor

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I believe it was the phone line, I had a bunch of static on the line I was using and I had to contend with a wiring crew toning out lines at the remote site.