cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nonesuch
New Contributor

NetVanta 1335P and VDSL2

Jump to solution

Adtran supports NetVanta NIMs for a number of different circuits, including: ADSL, ADSL2 and ADSL2+; full or fractional T1s; full or fractional E1; SHDSL (Annex A). Is there a VDSL2-compliant NIM for the NetVanta 1335P or can it be adapted for use as a modem on a LAN/WAN interface served by VDSL2 and/or pair bonded VDSL2 loops?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NetVanta 1335P and VDSL2

Jump to solution

David:

I'm sorry but there is no VDSL NIM for the1335P, nor is there likely to be one any time in the near future.

If the VDSL service can be terminated to some external 3rd party device that would then hand off Ethernet to the 1335, just like a DSL modem or Cable modem, then you should be fine using the 1335, at least until you reach the maximum throughput of the 1335. Other than that we don't have a way to get VDSL service to the 1335.

Regards,

Ronnie Colvin

Adtran Applications Engineering

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

David:

I'm sorry but there is no VDSL NIM for the1335P, nor is there likely to be one any time in the near future.

If the VDSL service can be terminated to some external 3rd party device that would then hand off Ethernet to the 1335, just like a DSL modem or Cable modem, then you should be fine using the 1335, at least until you reach the maximum throughput of the 1335. Other than that we don't have a way to get VDSL service to the 1335.

Regards,

Ronnie Colvin

Jump to solution

Ronnie...

Many thanks for your helpful response to my question. I suspected that was indeed the case but did not realize that I could hand off Ethernet from my VDSL2 modem to the two T1/WAN RJ45 connectors on the 1335 to accomplish the same purpose. I shall give it a try today.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

David:

You can't hand it off to the T1 connections, since those only talk to T1's.  Ethernet from the VDSL modem would go to one of the Ethernet ports on the front of the 1335. You would just need to program whichever port you use to become a WAN port. There is a Wizard in the web GUI to do that.

Regards,

Ronnie Colvin

Jump to solution

Ronnie...

I wondered about that possibility but failed to ask...many thanks for anticipating the solution. I'll try to bring up the web GUI today and see if I can navigate the Wizard. Incidentally, I am having CenturyLink install pair-bonded VDSL2 service soon, and I believe the bonding all occurs upstream of the VDSL modem at my demarc so there's just one incoming RJ45 connection from the modem to the 1335—would that be your understanding as well? DCD

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

David:

If I'm reading your question correctly, there should only be a single Ethernet from the modem to the 1335. With the handoff from the modem to the  1335 being Ethernet, how the bandwidth got to the modem from the provider (xDSL, Cable, Metro-E, MPLS, or any other) is no longer the concern of the 1335. It will happily deal with the Ethernet service and be totally oblivious to the upstream technology.

Regards,

Ronnie Colvin

Jump to solution

Ronnie...

That sounds right from what I can gather from CL about their pair bonded VDSL2 service. Many thanks...again...for your cogent explanations to this novice. It will be good to once again make use of the 1335 without having to invest in another unit in order to handle the VDSL2 circuit(s). Regards, DCD