cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

configuring DHCP Server in a VRRP environment

Jump to solution

I have two 1335 configured with multiple VLANs operating in a VRRP environment.I would like to use these servers to preform the DHCP function.  How do I set up these servers so that they do not have a conflict?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: configuring DHCP Server in a VRRP environment

Jump to solution

Thanks for all of the input.

Here is the real problem and I believe that this is not isolated.

We develop redundant systems to insure that there are no single points of failure.

While the idea of the a separate box for the DHCP solution is good… the result is that I have to put two of them.  My overall objective is to implement the network to support this requirement.  So far (with the exception of the DHCP) I have been successful. Your Idea of configuring a TCL script is a great way to accomplish my objective and I had not thought of it.  Now I need to figure out how to use TCL scripts to turn on / off different functionality (in this case DHCP server).  The document Configuring TCL scripts provides the fundamentals but it is not clear how to apply this to DHCP process.

If you don’t mind, I will take a shot at a writing a script, test it and route it to you for comment.

Regards

Larry Pomatto

Director of Engineering

Systems Integrated

Message was edited by: levi (removed contact information)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

Will you have the same subnets/VLANs on each NetVanta 1335, and you would like both units to be DHCP servers for the same networks?  Or would you like 1335(a) to be the DHCP server for "subnet X" and 1335(b) to be the DHCP server for "subnet Y"?

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I wanted to make the two units complete duplicates. Both units would generate DHCP  for both subnets.

See below

Regards

Larry Pomatto

Director of Engineering

Systems Integrated

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Larry:

Unfortunately, there is not an easy way to configure both units as mirror images for DHCP in this application.  My suggestion is to have another device on the network be the DHCP server, have one unit be the DHCP server for everything, or have the DHCP subnets separated between the two 1335s. 

Let me know what questions you have.

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Levi,

I had to do this once and it was advised that we run a TCL script to load the DHCP config into the backup 1335 when a probe/track determined that the master went down.  We never implemented this so I don't have any configs to share but this was discussed.  Looks like it would work here.  Thoughts?

Dan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Dan:

You are exactly correct!  As I alluded to above, that is the "hard" way to implement this solution.  Here are the Configuring TCL Scripting in AOS and Configuring Networking Monitoring in AOS guides for reference (Note:  ADTRAN Technical Support does not support TCL Scripting configurations).

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

But I like your idea of an "offline" DHCP server solution much better.  It's cleaner.

Dan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks for all of the input.

Here is the real problem and I believe that this is not isolated.

We develop redundant systems to insure that there are no single points of failure.

While the idea of the a separate box for the DHCP solution is good… the result is that I have to put two of them.  My overall objective is to implement the network to support this requirement.  So far (with the exception of the DHCP) I have been successful. Your Idea of configuring a TCL script is a great way to accomplish my objective and I had not thought of it.  Now I need to figure out how to use TCL scripts to turn on / off different functionality (in this case DHCP server).  The document Configuring TCL scripts provides the fundamentals but it is not clear how to apply this to DHCP process.

If you don’t mind, I will take a shot at a writing a script, test it and route it to you for comment.

Regards

Larry Pomatto

Director of Engineering

Systems Integrated

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Larry:

Feel free to post your TCL script here for other support community members to review.  ADTRAN does not provide troubleshooting or configuration assistance for TCL scripts.  I suggest reviewing the Configuring TCL Scripting in AOS guide or searching the web for TCL scripting examples and instructions.

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post and unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Levi

yfl
New Contributor

Jump to solution

Larry,

If you are still out there.......

Did you ever figure out how to use a TCL script in the switch?

Not much has been added to the support forum in that regard.

Any information you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

redbarron
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

Instead of flagging this correct can we have this sent into engineering to be addressed.  I'm running this configuration on multiple sites without a TCL file, and although it causes some grief if the backup network stays on-line for to long it does function as is.  What we need is for ADTRAN to write a hook into VRRP for mirroring the DHCP leases between the two devices. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

redbarron:

If you would like to request the feature you mentioned for future implementation into ADTRAN OS, I recommend you contact your local ADTRAN Sales Representative and present the idea to them.

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Sorry I didn’t get back to you earlier. I haven’t had time to implement the script. I have however solved the VPN use the low cost 3120 for remote access – I will sent it to you.

I have the script done by the end of the year

Regards

Larry Pomatto

Director of Engineering

Systems Integrated

2200 N. Glassell St.

Orange, CA 92865

cell (714) 323-1871, office (714) 998-0900 ext 4562

redbarron
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

Why don't ADTRAN monitor this forum for feature requests?  If they can't pick up on the need and put in there own feature requests they are doing something wrong.  Now if ADTRAN would like to pay me or give me additional discounts for venting their product and documenting its weaknesses or failures, then I might feel inclined to make such requests.  I will take this up with my ADTRAN SE and Sales Manager.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

redbarron - Thanks for your post.  ADTRAN does monitor the ADTRAN Support Community for feature requests related to our wireless LAN and UC offerings.  We have other more direct mechanisms for getting input on feature enhancements for our router and IP Business gateway families. If you have suggestions for those product areas, contacting your ADTRAN SE and/or Sales Manager is a good approach, as you suggested in your post.

Thanks,

Matt