cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kfowler6
New Contributor

Alternative to route maps?

Jump to solution

Hi, here's a little about my situation.  We have 2 sites that have 2 connections between them.  One is a site-to-site VPN and the other is a point-to-point T1.  Our cores at both sites are Netvanta 1544s.  Our goal is that we want to have all of our VOIP traffic go across the T1 and all other traffic across the site-to-site link.  If one of the links should happen to go down then we want to fail over to the good link.  The fail over isn't really the problem since that can be done with probes and tracking.  My problem I'm having is that the 1544's don't support route-maps which would be the easiest way to split the traffic up like we would like to.  I'm struggling to find a different way to go about this and was wondering if there would be some kind of alternative to setting this up.  If you need more information let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kyle.

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Alternative to route maps?

Jump to solution

- Unfortunately, without the use of route-maps, the NetVantas only have the ability to make routing decisions based on destination networks using the route table. The workaround to use this option would be to split your VOIP traffic and other traffic into different VLANs/subnets at both sites. This way you can specify in your route statement where you want traffic to be directed based on the network/VLAN it is trying to get to.  With that in mind, you could use floating static routes (along with the probes and tracks) to set up your failover should one link fail.

I hope the above solution helps, but please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Noor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

- Unfortunately, without the use of route-maps, the NetVantas only have the ability to make routing decisions based on destination networks using the route table. The workaround to use this option would be to split your VOIP traffic and other traffic into different VLANs/subnets at both sites. This way you can specify in your route statement where you want traffic to be directed based on the network/VLAN it is trying to get to.  With that in mind, you could use floating static routes (along with the probes and tracks) to set up your failover should one link fail.

I hope the above solution helps, but please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Noor

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.  You pretty much reaffirmed what I already assumed.  VoIP traffic is already split to a different VLAN so implementing what you suggested shouldn't be too bad.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

-

I went ahead and flagged this post as “Assumed Answered.”  If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as either Correct or Helpful answers with the applicable buttons.  This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily.  If you still need assistance, I would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let me know in a reply.

Thanks,

Noor

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post and unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Levi