cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have a document explaining how to make a port channel?

Jump to solution

Subject says it all. I need to be able to do this to allow for bandwidth needs. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do you have a document explaining how to make a port channel?

Jump to solution

Furballexpress:

Thank you for asking this question.  We have two documents that explain how to create a Port Channel or Link Aggregation (LACP).  The Understanding the Switch Menu in AOS Web Interface document shows how to create a port-channel on page 9.  The Link Aggregation document describes the process in greater detail.

ADTRAN AOS supports Link Aggregation, which is defined in IEEE 802.3ad, and allows switches to aggregate Ethernet ports between ADTRAN switches or other switch manufacturers that conform to the 802.3ad specification. Link Aggregation allows you to bundle multiple Ethernet ports to form a single logical channel. An ADTRAN switch can support up to 6 channel groups; each of which can contain up to 8 ports per. This is beneficial in two ways: increased link capacity and providing for redundancy.

When configuring Link Aggregation, all ports within the group must be configured with the same speed and duplex (Link Aggregation only works on FULL duplex). A port cannot belong to more than one channel group at the same time. Load balancing is supported across multiple channel groups.

Note that AOS does not support dynamic LACP: Active Mode (generating negotiation request) nor Passive Mode (responding to negotiation request), meaning there is not a control protocol running at all. AOS only supports static Link Aggregation by unconditionally setting the port channel to “on” mode as seen below:

NV1238(config)#interface port-channel 1

Creating Port Channel interface 1.

NV1238(config-p-chan1)#no shutdown

2012.03.06 09:41:03 INTERFACE_STATUS.port-channel 1 changed state to administratively up

NV1238(config-swx 0/21)#channel-group 1 mode on

When creating a Port Channel to a multi-port NIC, in a server for example, the NIC must have one Ethernet interface per aggregated switch port and support the IEEE 802.3ad standard for link aggregation. Be sure to check with your NIC manufacturer to ensure it supports 802.3ad, and that it will support the bandwidth of the logical link.

A Port Channel may not be divided between switches; all ports of a Port Channel must physically reside on the same switch. AOS does not support Control Protocol (PAgP). This is a Cisco-proprietary protocol and only runs on Cisco switches.

The configuration example below shows the required commands for doing LACP between an ADTRAN AOS switch and a Cisco switch.

ADTRAN AOS switch

!

interface port-channel 1

no shutdown

!

interface switchport 0/1

no shutdown

channel-group 1 mode on

!

interface switchport 0/2

no shutdown

channel-group 1 mode on

!

NOTE: Older AOS swtiches will have interfaces labeled "ethernet" instead of "switchport" - interface ethernet 0/1 vs switchport 0/1

Cisco switch

!

interface Port-channel 1

!

interface FastEthernet 0/1

channel-group 1 mode active

channel-protocol lacp

!

interface FastEthernet 0/2

channel-protocol lacp

I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to reply with any questions.  I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Furballexpress:

Thank you for asking this question.  We have two documents that explain how to create a Port Channel or Link Aggregation (LACP).  The Understanding the Switch Menu in AOS Web Interface document shows how to create a port-channel on page 9.  The Link Aggregation document describes the process in greater detail.

ADTRAN AOS supports Link Aggregation, which is defined in IEEE 802.3ad, and allows switches to aggregate Ethernet ports between ADTRAN switches or other switch manufacturers that conform to the 802.3ad specification. Link Aggregation allows you to bundle multiple Ethernet ports to form a single logical channel. An ADTRAN switch can support up to 6 channel groups; each of which can contain up to 8 ports per. This is beneficial in two ways: increased link capacity and providing for redundancy.

When configuring Link Aggregation, all ports within the group must be configured with the same speed and duplex (Link Aggregation only works on FULL duplex). A port cannot belong to more than one channel group at the same time. Load balancing is supported across multiple channel groups.

Note that AOS does not support dynamic LACP: Active Mode (generating negotiation request) nor Passive Mode (responding to negotiation request), meaning there is not a control protocol running at all. AOS only supports static Link Aggregation by unconditionally setting the port channel to “on” mode as seen below:

NV1238(config)#interface port-channel 1

Creating Port Channel interface 1.

NV1238(config-p-chan1)#no shutdown

2012.03.06 09:41:03 INTERFACE_STATUS.port-channel 1 changed state to administratively up

NV1238(config-swx 0/21)#channel-group 1 mode on

When creating a Port Channel to a multi-port NIC, in a server for example, the NIC must have one Ethernet interface per aggregated switch port and support the IEEE 802.3ad standard for link aggregation. Be sure to check with your NIC manufacturer to ensure it supports 802.3ad, and that it will support the bandwidth of the logical link.

A Port Channel may not be divided between switches; all ports of a Port Channel must physically reside on the same switch. AOS does not support Control Protocol (PAgP). This is a Cisco-proprietary protocol and only runs on Cisco switches.

The configuration example below shows the required commands for doing LACP between an ADTRAN AOS switch and a Cisco switch.

ADTRAN AOS switch

!

interface port-channel 1

no shutdown

!

interface switchport 0/1

no shutdown

channel-group 1 mode on

!

interface switchport 0/2

no shutdown

channel-group 1 mode on

!

NOTE: Older AOS swtiches will have interfaces labeled "ethernet" instead of "switchport" - interface ethernet 0/1 vs switchport 0/1

Cisco switch

!

interface Port-channel 1

!

interface FastEthernet 0/1

channel-protocol lacp

!

interface FastEthernet 0/2

channel-protocol lacp

I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to reply with any questions.  I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

furballexpress:

I marked this post as "assumed answered," but please reply if you have further questions on this topic.

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Yes, that's what I needed. I'll add this to the 802.1q and VRRP bits I need to solve my underlying problem. Thanks!