Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Phones getting assigned IP on Data VLAN with 1534P

Jump to solution

Hey everyone,

I recently bought a new netvanta 1534P switch to replace an old cisco switch. My DHCP server is plugged into this switch. My phones are plugged into 2 adtran switched that hang off of it. The adtran switches used to hang off of the cisco switch.

Now when I reboot a phone, it will pick up an address on my admin vlan and not be able to communicate with my voice server. I have 3 other vlans and they work fine. All ports on the 1534P switch are configured as trunk ports and have a native vlan of either the admin vlan or data vlan. Even if I assign a port to the voice vlan, the phone will be put on the admin vlan and the computer that hangs off the phone will be assigned to the voice vlan. I am using Polycom SoundPoint 331 phones. I have made sure that the phone config is pointing to the voice vlan.

What am I missing?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Phones getting assigned IP on Data VLAN with 1534P

Jump to solution

I used this configuration on the DHCP server port to fix the issue.

!

interface gigabit-switchport 0/11

description DHCP SERVER

no shutdown

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 2

no lldp send-and-receive

!

vlan 2 is my admin vlan. It is very strange because I have the exact same setup at a different location and the DHCP server is on a trunk port. It must have something to do with the way the nic handles vlan traffic.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I used this configuration on the DHCP server port to fix the issue.

!

interface gigabit-switchport 0/11

description DHCP SERVER

no shutdown

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 2

no lldp send-and-receive

!

vlan 2 is my admin vlan. It is very strange because I have the exact same setup at a different location and the DHCP server is on a trunk port. It must have something to do with the way the nic handles vlan traffic.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Most of today's server nics and servers os's understand vlan tagging.  We have seen this since 2003 servers started showing up years ago.  All your servers should be in access ports on the vlan for the servers and not as a trunk port.  The servers will see the broadcast come in for dhcp and hand off an ip for the wrong vlan.  The exception for this is of course virtual hosts where you may have several virtual machines on different vlan's.