cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
getzjd
New Contributor II

VRRP Quick Question

Looking to implement VRRP on two Adtran 1638 switches.  These will uplink to a Cisco router to our MPLS network.  My question is what would my configuration look like ?

I can handle the VRRP portion as it is pretty basic, but what about routing?  Would I need to create separate VLANs on each of the Adtran uplink ports to the Cisco and then route this way?    For example,  Standard data vlan is 10.100.x.x, .   On Adtran's, create VLAN 50  10.1.1.2 on SW1 and VLAN 51 10.2.2.2 on SW2   then on Cisco side GB0/0 10.1.1.1 and GB0/1 10.2.2.1.   How would the routing be handled on the adtran side such that a failure of either switch in the VRRP group route the data properly to the Cisco MPLS router?    Any other suggestions or clarifications would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: VRRP Quick Question

:

Thank you for asking this question in the Support Community.  There are multiple ways you can design and configure this application.  How you chose to do it depends on network requirements, scaleability, and failover requirements. 

Will the VRRP address of the NV1638s be the default gateway for the devices on the network?  If so, then the concept you mentioned is correct, you can have separate subnets/VLANs between the ADTRAN's and the router (router's IP address will be the ADTRAN's next hop for the default-route).  With this design, if either switch failed, then the other switch would be the VRRP master, and use the local route to the router.

I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to reply to this post with any additional questions or information.  I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

:

I went ahead and flagged this post as "Assumed Answered." If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as Correct or Helpful as the case may be with the applicable buttons. This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Levi

getzjd
New Contributor II

Would I be better off going with an activchassis configuration?   Would activchassis take the place of VRRP or would it work in conjunction with it?  What benefits would that have over a VRRP configuration as specified in the diagram?    If we use activchassis, would it be acceptable to start with just two 1638 switches, one as a master and one as a backup?  We would then add 2 linecards in the future.

thanks