Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
james-in-ca
New Contributor III

3120 - High CPU Utilization and slowness

Jump to solution

HI all- First Post.

Please bear with me. I am not an IT expert.

We have Ethernet over Copper 6M from Telepacific.

Recently I upgraded from a Bonded T1 (3M) and had an older Adtran. But to use this new service we had to install our own router. I bought and installed, with the assistance of a good Network Tech (who is unavailable this week), this ADTRAN 3120. The previous Adtran switch was managed by my providor. And they took it back. It had served us well for about 6 years anyhow.

This router has been in for about 2 months now. I now have to "manage"  - this router.

Today we are seeing slow speeds "verified" via speedtest.net

Usually very consistently we are right near 5.70 Down 5.20 Up  when there is typical usage in our network.

Today under 4.00 Down 3.50 Up

I was hoping someone can suggest something fairly simple to try to troubleshoot this.

I do not know what would cuase CPU usage, nor do I really understand exactly how it affects our throughput.

Thank You very much for any help.

James:

-------

Here is my Summary:

adtran-summary.jpg

Here is my CPU Utilization summary..

Screen Shot 2012-08-13 at 4.33.22 PM.png

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 3120 - High CPU Utilization and slowness

Jump to solution

James, I have reviewed your config.  The IP FLow/Top Traffic is causing the high CPU usage. To keep ITM memory and and CPU usage to a minimum, RapidRoute must be enabled on each interface to be monitored using the ip ffe command from the interface configuration mode. I would recommend you take a look at this pdf link below,  also there is some sampling configurations that may alleviate some of the CPU use.  You can verify the IP flow is using up the CPU by disabling the traffic monitoring and then view CPU tasks.

https://supportforums.adtran.com/docs/DOC-1642

Configuring Integrated Traffic Monitoring (ITM) in AOS

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

It is unusal to see PC config that high on a 3120 unless you are doing some QoS for Voice or RTP monitoring.  Can you post a copy of your config.  Please make sure you replace any Public IP addresses with "Public IP" and remove any secure information.  It is possible there is some misconfiguration.  Is this something that you verifed today or is this something that could have been happening since you deployed the new router/configuration.

james-in-ca
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

Thanks for your Reply. Here is my Config file - Sanitized

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

James, I have reviewed your config.  The IP FLow/Top Traffic is causing the high CPU usage. To keep ITM memory and and CPU usage to a minimum, RapidRoute must be enabled on each interface to be monitored using the ip ffe command from the interface configuration mode. I would recommend you take a look at this pdf link below,  also there is some sampling configurations that may alleviate some of the CPU use.  You can verify the IP flow is using up the CPU by disabling the traffic monitoring and then view CPU tasks.

https://supportforums.adtran.com/docs/DOC-1642

Configuring Integrated Traffic Monitoring (ITM) in AOS

0 Kudos
james-in-ca
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

Thanks a lot!. I have looked at the doc. I'll have to digest that further. I think for today, as you suggest, I'll turn off all Monitoring and note the difference..

When you mention to use the command ip ffe that would be if I was connected via the console?

Thanks very much for your help on this!

----UPDATE

I turned off all Monitoring and am still seeing 99.00% loads.. 😞

Attached is my Config File.

james-in-ca
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

One note. I tried to "Clear CPU Max Load" in the Summary GUI and got an  Error dialog Error trying to clear CPU MAX LOAD.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Sorry for the delay, all night server work.  Yes from the comand line interface.  You can either connect by console or go to GUI>Utilities and select telnet.  Alternately you can connect by telnet with Putty or fom the command line.  Once at the command line you will enter the following.

Router>

Router#

Router#config t

Router(config)interface eth 0/1

Router(config-int)ip ffe           and then hit enter

UPDATE

I just read your update portion.  Config looks totally clean.  You may want to contact support at this point, they can walk you through the debug process to see what is causing the issue.  I have only had 1 out of nearly a 100 of these routers have this issue and it was replaced after debug.

james-in-ca
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

OK thanks a lot.. I'll contact them now.

james-in-ca
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

Update. After turning off monitoring it semeed to take about 24 hours or so for the changes to take effect. I am now seeing:

System Load: 15.14%

1 Min Avg Load: 44.41%     5 Min Avg Load: 27.25%

Min Load: 0%     Max Load: 100%

Context Switch Load: 0.25%

So the Monitoring without the proper RapidRoute enabled was using all of my processing power.

Thanks for the tip. For now I am running it without monitoring as I dont really need it. It was more a curiosity to me in this case.

SOLVED

james-in-ca
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

A further update:

I tried to use the Telnet commands you entered to turn on the RapidRoute

I logged in and

was prompted:

NetVanta3120>

Following your instructions:

I got unknown commands for 

Router >

Router #

config t

Does "Router>" represent my Router prompt? Such as:

NetVanta3120>

If so entering

>

or

#

or

config t

always gives me

% Unrecognized command

All I get is a periodic summary:

2012.08.23 11:20:27 FIREWALL id=firewall time="2012-08-23 11:20:27" fw=NetVanta3120 pri=1  proto=http src=00.00.00.00 dst=00.00.00.00 msg="TCP connection request received is invalid (expected SYN, got ACK), dropping packet; flags=0x11 Src 1689 Dst 80 from Private policy-class on interface vlan 1" agent=AdFirewall

I can see that it is reporting some most recent activity of some kind (00.00.00.00)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

- RapidRoute is enabled on a per-interface basis. For example, on the NetVanta 3120, RapidRoute can be enabled on the ethernet 0/1 interface and/or the vlan interfaces configured on the device. Based on the steps you took in the above post, you were not in interface configuration mode to enable RapidRoute. As mentioned, the following is how you would enable RapidRoute for the Public (eth0/1) interface of the 3120:

Router>

Router#

Router#config t

Router(config)interface eth 0/1

Router(config-int)ip ffe

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions or issues.

Thanks,

Noor

james-in-ca
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

Noor-

Thanks

I am having trouble getting any of the commands to not give an % unrecognized command.

That is why I asked what the prompt you are using as an example meant?

I am clearly not doing this right.

is:

Router> (in your example)

the same as

NetVanta3120> in my telnet?

This is my prompt:

NetVanta3120>

So in your example would I enter ">" or "#"   ?

I am at the prompt:

NetVanta3120>

I enter >

I get back:

NetVanta3120>>

% Unrecognized command

I then try #

I get back:

NetVanta3120>#

% Unrecognized command

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

- Sorry for the confusion. I've posted in bold and italics what you will need to type in. I've also modified the prompt to match what you will see in your telnet screen. Let us know if you have any questions.

NetVanta3120> enable

Password: <enter enable password here and hit enter>

NetVanta3120# config t

NetVanta3120(config)# int eth 0/1

NetVanta3120(config-eth 0/1)#ip ffe

NetVanta3120(config-eth 0/1)#do wr    <- This will save the configuration change.

If you wanted to enable RapidRoute on the vlan interface, you would just replace the "int eth 0/1" command with "int vlan <VLAN ID>" command.

Thanks,

Noor

james-in-ca
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

Thanks, that helps a lot. I am still having a problem....... in that after entering "enable"

At the Prompt

Password:

I enter my router password but it is not recognized.

Am I not understanding something simple?

Thanks again.

James

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Your enable password could be different than your initial login password.  If you have access to the GUI you can then go to Passwords>and at the bottom you will see all your options including enable password.  Type in a new password here and then verify, apply and save your config.  Go back in SSH or telnet and you should be good.

james-in-ca
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

Excellent! Thanks for the details. It all makes sense now.

All worked.

I enabled  it on both interfaces

Thanks!

Jump to solution

svchost.exe (netsvcs) is also a cause of high CPU usage. YOu can try some of these solutions i have found online:

•    Clear Event Viewer Logs
  •     Download and install all available Windows updates
  •     Scan your computer for viruses and malware
  •     Find and Disable the service that causes the “svchost” high CPU usage problem

For detailed solution, Visit: http://errorcodespro.com/fix-svchost-exe-netsvcs-high-cpu-memory-usage/