cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Adtran 3120 SIP Proxy for Voip/PBX Vlans?

Jump to solution

Hello All,

I have been reading several of the articles in the forums and knowledge base, and am confused about when to use SIP proxy for Voip/PBX vlans.  Or, do I even need to use both?  I have read the configuring SIP Proxy in AOS and the Configuring QoS for Voice over Ethernet WAN Interface (CLI) and am still a bit confused as to whether I need to configure SIP Proxy if I use vlans.  What I am trying to do is use a 3120 and separate data and voice.  Voice can be via a PBX or hosted (either way SIP is used).  For voice, the 3120 will connect to a NV1335 which will then connect to the phones.  The input to the 3120 can come from either the internet or a PBX (the config I am creating must be able to handle one or the other).  Suggestions are most welcome.  And I would love to post my config, but I am still in the designing phase--so it does not exist, yet.

Thanks in advance!!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Adtran 3120 SIP Proxy for Voip/PBX Vlans?

Jump to solution

Hi aceman:

Unless the 3120 must be used for some reason, I would consider using the 1335 for all functions.  The 1335 is a full-blown router, firewall and VPN appliance with enhanced features such as Voice Quality Monitoring (VQM).  The 1335 may not be a super-powerful unit by today's standards, as far as routing performance, but it will run circles around the 3120 which was really designed for routing loads at DSL speeds years ago.  Also, the 1335 includes limited Layer 3 Lite route-caching which can route (switch) traffic between VLANs at full wire speed.

Either way, it's commonly recommended to configure separate VLANs for default data and voice.  This way you will segment your devices and applications to protect from trouble in one network from degrading traffic in the other.  Also, you will have flexibility to use different DHCP options and other aspects to fit the needs of your voice endpoints.  VLAN is a Layer 2, logical segregation of devices and traffic.  Your 1335 (and/or 3120) must have an IP interface within each VLAN to be the default gateway for that subnet and also provide for inter-VLAN routing.  The guide The difference between VLANs and VLAN interfaces‌ is an excellent resource.

SIP proxy is used when the 1335 or 3120 should monitor SIP devices and sessions, typically used to take over SIP call setup when a site has lost connection to the PBX.  This is mostly used at a remote site where there is no local PBX and the ADTRAN SIP proxy can handle call setup between extensions at the site or route external calls to a survivable gateway connected to one or more local POTS or PRI lines.

Let us know if you have additional questions.  If you get to a point in your configuration to share it, remember to remove passwords before you post it here.  A diagram may be helpful if you need assistance.

Best,

Chris

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi aceman:

Unless the 3120 must be used for some reason, I would consider using the 1335 for all functions.  The 1335 is a full-blown router, firewall and VPN appliance with enhanced features such as Voice Quality Monitoring (VQM).  The 1335 may not be a super-powerful unit by today's standards, as far as routing performance, but it will run circles around the 3120 which was really designed for routing loads at DSL speeds years ago.  Also, the 1335 includes limited Layer 3 Lite route-caching which can route (switch) traffic between VLANs at full wire speed.

Either way, it's commonly recommended to configure separate VLANs for default data and voice.  This way you will segment your devices and applications to protect from trouble in one network from degrading traffic in the other.  Also, you will have flexibility to use different DHCP options and other aspects to fit the needs of your voice endpoints.  VLAN is a Layer 2, logical segregation of devices and traffic.  Your 1335 (and/or 3120) must have an IP interface within each VLAN to be the default gateway for that subnet and also provide for inter-VLAN routing.  The guide The difference between VLANs and VLAN interfaces‌ is an excellent resource.

SIP proxy is used when the 1335 or 3120 should monitor SIP devices and sessions, typically used to take over SIP call setup when a site has lost connection to the PBX.  This is mostly used at a remote site where there is no local PBX and the ADTRAN SIP proxy can handle call setup between extensions at the site or route external calls to a survivable gateway connected to one or more local POTS or PRI lines.

Let us know if you have additional questions.  If you get to a point in your configuration to share it, remember to remove passwords before you post it here.  A diagram may be helpful if you need assistance.

Best,

Chris

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

aceman‌:

I went ahead and marked the correct answer on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you feel like this is not the answer, feel free to come back to this post and provide additional information.  If you have any additional information on this that others may benefit from, please come back to this post to provide an update.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Levi