cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
asn
New Contributor

Configuring WAN Failover with Network Monitor

Jump to solution

Hello everyone. I am a new to Adtran equipment and not too familiar with configuration procedures and am hoping to get some help setting up a 3120.

I am currently connected the 3120 to a cable modem with dynamic IP to run a hosted VoIP service. The 3120 is then connected to a POE switch which is then connected connected to SIP phones. I was provided a basic config template for the 3120 from the hosted VoIP provider which I have modified accordingly. Currently everything works fine but I would like to setup a Wan failover to another internet connection which is a 4G cellular which is also dynamic IP.

I would like to setup the router to monitor the main cable connection and if it fails switch to the 4G service and remain there until the the cable service is restored. I have read the document shown in the link below and have setup the Network Monitor section of it but I am totally lost on the security zone portion of it as it pertains to my individual setup.

Attached the current config that I have so far. I would prefer to use the routers GUI to do the setup but any method that works would be fine. I just don't understand all the technical jargon as this is simply not my field. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Configuring WAN Failover with Network Monitor

Jump to solution

- Thanks for providing that information. It definitely clears it up for me.

I would recommend creating a VLAN interface just for the 4G connection. You will need to assign one of the switchports on the 3120 to be in that newly created VLAN. The following guide explains how to create a new VLAN interface in the GUI: The difference between VLANs and VLAN interfaces.

Once you have created this new VLAN interface, you will need to navigate to "Ports" and select the switchport that the 4G connection will be plugging into.

The configuration that you have uploaded to this thread doesn't appear to contain the networking monitoring portion. However, as you mentioned, you will need to follow the guide you specified in your original post.

As far as the security zones go, you will need to add another NAT statement on the Private security zone similar to the "Internet Connection Sharing" rule that currently exists. The difference is that this new rule will source NAT traffic to the new VLAN interface you created. Also on the existing "Internet Connection Sharing" rule you will need to specify the destination security zone to be Public.

I hope this answers your question, but please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Noor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

- Thanks for posting your question on the forum!

I just had a couple of questions about your setup before offering any suggestions:

1. Which interface do you plan on plugging the second WAN connection to? Will you be creating a new VLAN or will you use an existing interface?

2. Will the 3120 be responsible for NATting traffic out the 4G connection as well?

3. Do you need VPN to failover as well?

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Noor

asn
New Contributor

Jump to solution

Thanks for responding to my question. I am going to try and answer these as best as I can. I hope I am understanding your questions.

1. Which interface do you plan on plugging the second WAN connection to? Will you be creating a new VLAN or will you use an existing interface?

I really don't care which one we use for the second WAN connection but for simplicity we can make the normal ETH 0/1 port the main cable connection and the LAN port 1 the 4G connection. The router should function the same as if it was using the "cable" connection.

As for the second part of your question I'm not sure I understand this fully. I assume the correct answer is use existing interface.

2. Will the 3120 be responsible for NATting traffic out the 4G connection as well?

Again not sure yes or no here but I try to explain what should happen. My guess is yes. The 4G connection is a FreedomPop Hub Burst device setup as a pass thru so the router is responsible for "getting" the IP from the 4G connection rather then the Hub burst modem.

3. Do you need VPN to failover as well?

I think what you are asking here is if there is a active VPN connection and the main connection fails should  it automatically switch to the 4G connection???

If this is what you are asking then that would be nice but I am not currently using the VPN functionality while this functionality would be nice is is not necessary at the current time.

I want to also state that the main connection should always default to the "cable" connection even if both cable and 4G connections are available.

Hope I answered the questions you have asked and thanks for the assistance.

Message was edited by: asn

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

- Thanks for providing that information. It definitely clears it up for me.

I would recommend creating a VLAN interface just for the 4G connection. You will need to assign one of the switchports on the 3120 to be in that newly created VLAN. The following guide explains how to create a new VLAN interface in the GUI: The difference between VLANs and VLAN interfaces.

Once you have created this new VLAN interface, you will need to navigate to "Ports" and select the switchport that the 4G connection will be plugging into.

The configuration that you have uploaded to this thread doesn't appear to contain the networking monitoring portion. However, as you mentioned, you will need to follow the guide you specified in your original post.

As far as the security zones go, you will need to add another NAT statement on the Private security zone similar to the "Internet Connection Sharing" rule that currently exists. The difference is that this new rule will source NAT traffic to the new VLAN interface you created. Also on the existing "Internet Connection Sharing" rule you will need to specify the destination security zone to be Public.

I hope this answers your question, but please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Noor

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

-

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post to unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you have any additional information on this that others may benefit from, please come back to this post to provide an update.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Noor