cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does the WAN port of a 3120 support vlans?

Jump to solution

I need to know if the 3120 supports 802.1q on the wan port or would you have to use a switch port as a WAN interface to accomplish this?  We are currently using another brand of router that supports vlan tagging on the WAN interface but our techs prefer the Adtran gear.

Thanks,

Charley

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does the WAN port of a 3120 support vlans?

Jump to solution

Charley:

You are correct.  I sincerely apologize.  The NetVanta 3120 does NOT support 802.1Q sub-interfaces on the Ethernet 0/1 port. 

For the application stated above, you would simply need to configure one of the switchports into the WAN VLAN.

Levi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Charley:

Thank you for your question.

Yes, the NetVanta 3120 supports 802.1q trunking on the Ethernet 0/1 port.  The Configuring InterVLAN Routing in AOS document explains how to setup an Ethernet interface for trunking.  Here is an excerpt from that document:

Configuring 802.1Q Trunking in the CLI

1.  First, access the interface that will be serving as the 802.1Q trunk. Then, enable 802.1q mode on the interface. Enable the interface by issuing “no shutdown”.

Syntax: encapsulation 802.1q

Syntax: no shutdown

2. Once 802.1Q mode has been enabled on an Ethernet interface, you will be allowed to create multiple subinterfaces. Each subinterface will be the default gateway for devices within that VLAN.

Syntax: interface <interface> 0/1.1

3. Each subinterface must be assigned a VLAN ID. This ID represents the VLAN number that the subinterface is responsible for. Valid IDs fall in the range of 1 to 4094. At least one subinterface must be specified as the “native” VLAN. This VLAN is where all untagged traffic will be tagged to.

Syntax: vlan-id <vlan number>

Syntax: vlan-id <vlan number> native

4.  Finally, each subinterface must be assigned an IP address. This IP must reside in the desired subnet for the VLAN that has been assigned to it. After the assignment, the interface can be activated by issuing “no shutdown”.

(config-eth 0/1.1)# ip address <A.B.C.D> <subnet mask>

(config-eth 0/1.1)# no shutdown

Please, do not hesitate to reply with any additional questions, I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I have checked and even upgraded the 3120 to the latest code rev but eth0/1 does not have an encap option.  I know when I checked about a year ago the 3120 did not support 802.1q on eth0/1 but I thought there was some talk about adding it.

Could you please double check this for me?

Thanks,

Charley

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Charley:

You are correct.  I sincerely apologize.  The NetVanta 3120 does NOT support 802.1Q sub-interfaces on the Ethernet 0/1 port. 

For the application stated above, you would simply need to configure one of the switchports into the WAN VLAN.

Levi

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Do you know if there are any plans to add 802.1q to the 3120?  I hate having to lose an ethernet port even those the WAN port is an ethernet port as well.

Thanks,

Charley

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Charley:

Currently, ADTRAN does not have plans to incorporate 802.1Q trunking on the Ethernet 0/1 port on the NetVanta 3120.  However, I will add this functionality as a feature request to be reviewed for possible implementation in a future firmware release.

Please, let me know if you have any further questions.

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks for getting this feature requested.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Charley:

I marked the question as "assumed answered."  Please, do not hesitate to add additional information to this post if necessary.

Levi