Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic-DNS Timing Out

Jump to solution

Hello,

We are attempting to utilize a custom dyndns server on our 3120's.  In our lab, we have 2 circuits, 1 DSL and 1 Satellite.  The DSL circuit is updating like it should, but the Satellite is not.  Here is what the debug is showing.

DDNS: updating custom GET string:

GET /nic/update?system=XXXXXXX&hostname=XXXXXXX HTTP/1.1

Host: XXXXXXX

DDNS: Sending DNS query for custom's hostname XXXXXXX

DDNS: Resolved custom's hostname XXXXXXX to XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

DDNS: Connecting to custom service at XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

DDNS: Connected to custom service

DDNS: Trying again in 5 minutes

I think that the internal dynamic-dns service is hitting a timeout.  Is there any way to change this?

Thanks,

Brad

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dynamic-DNS Timing Out

Jump to solution

Brad:

Thank you for replying with this information so quickly.  Based on this information, I believe that the ADTRAN unit is not getting a response within the timeout criteria, as you suspected.  There is a fixed 30 second timeout (from the time we send the message) the ADTRAN unit will wait for a response before it transitions to the "trying again" state.  It appears the ADTRAN is not receiving a response within that 30 second window.  Unfortunately, that timeout value is not user-configurable at this time.

If you would like to obtain a packet capture when the unit attempts to contact the server, I will be happy to help you review it, in an attempt to determine if the ADTRAN unit is not receiving a response within the timeout period.

Levi 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

Thank you for asking this question in the support community.  When you get a chance, will you reply with a current copy of the configuration?  (Please, remember to remove any information that may be sensitive to the organization).  Also, will you reply with the output from the show dynamic-dns and debug dynamic-dns verbose commands, when the connection is using the satellite link?

The document below goes into details on how to configure Dynamic DNS within AOS and the services that Dynamic Networking Services offer that interop with AOS.

Configuring Dynamic DNS in AOS - Quick Configuration Guide

Furthermore, the command dynamic-dns custom <hostname> <minutes> specifies the intervals in minutes to update the server with information (updates also occur when the interface's IP address changes regardless of the update intervals).

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Here is the interface configuration:

interface vlan 2

description WAN 2 Interface

ip address dhcp

access-policy "Public 2"

dynamic-dns custom XXXXXXXX 1440

GET /nic/update?system=XXXXXXX&hostname=XXXXXXXX HTTP/1.1\r\n

Host: XXXXXXX\r\n

\r\n

exit

no shutdown

Here is the show dynamic-dns output:

vlan 2:

Server: XXXXXXXXX

Is Updated: no

Last Registered IP: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

Last Update Time: XXXXXX

Next Update at: XXXXXXX

Last Update Attempt: XXXXXXXX

Here is the debug dynamic-dns verbose output:

DDNS: updating custom GET string:

GET /nic/update?system=XXXXXXX&hostname=XXXXXXX HTTP/1.1

Host: XXXXXXX

DDNS: Sending DNS query for custom's hostname XXXXXXX

DDNS: Resolved custom's hostname XXXXXXX to XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

DDNS: Connecting to custom service at XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

DDNS: Connected to custom service

DDNS: Trying again in 5 minutes

Note that there is a good amount of time between DDNS: Connecting to custom service at XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX and DDNS: Connected to custom service.  It then prompt the DDNS: Trying again in 5 minutes quickly after that.  That is why I am thinking the process itself is reaching a timeout.  Is there any way to extend the amount of time the process will attempt to update before it times out and says try again in 5 minutes?

Edit:

Something else to note is that the ping times of this circuits are consistently in the 2000ms range.  I have a feeling that is what is causing the timeout, but if the process had a little bit more time, it looks like it would be able to update successfully.

Thanks,

Brad

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Brad:

Thank you for replying with this information so quickly.  Based on this information, I believe that the ADTRAN unit is not getting a response within the timeout criteria, as you suspected.  There is a fixed 30 second timeout (from the time we send the message) the ADTRAN unit will wait for a response before it transitions to the "trying again" state.  It appears the ADTRAN is not receiving a response within that 30 second window.  Unfortunately, that timeout value is not user-configurable at this time.

If you would like to obtain a packet capture when the unit attempts to contact the server, I will be happy to help you review it, in an attempt to determine if the ADTRAN unit is not receiving a response within the timeout period.

Levi 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Is the timer activated when it makes the request to connect to the server or is it for the whole dynamic-dns process?

Edit:

I just timed the process and from DDNS: updating custom GET string: to DDNS: Trying again in 5 minutes was only 15 seconds.  There might be something else going on here.

Brad

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Brad:

When you get a chance, please obtain a packet capture on the interface that connects to the satellite link when the ADTRAN unit is attempting to connect to the server.  Also, please reply with the complete configuration, and the debug output from the ADTRAN unit that correlates to the time of the packet capture.

If you cannot get an external packet capture, you can use the packet capture feature on the ADTRAN unit (the unit will have to be on firmware R10.1.0 or newer to use this feature):  Configuring Packet Capture in AOS.

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

-

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post to unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you have any additional information on this that others may benefit from, please come back to this post to provide an update.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Noor