cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
docpepson
New Contributor

New to Adtran and Netvanta, need help with simple config

I am a IT Professional for a large university, and run my own small business.  I took on a job of replacing a clients Xfinity supplied router and recommended adtran as it is what his voip provider recommends.  Specifically, I purchased a Netvanta 3140.  Sadly, after hours upon hours, I've gotten nowhere.

I just need a simple flat network, with WAN access coming into eth0/1 and the LAN connected to eth0/2.

I tried to use my knowledge with my own Mikrotik system to set this up, creating a bridge for ports 0/2 and 0/3 - but they are not getting the traffic to or from 0/1.

Most of my time has been spent power cycling this router after I made a change and it became completely non-responsive.  I have upgraded it to the most recent version of the firmware.

I have searched and searched and searched, but have not found any relevant information that really helps me get to the place I need to be.  I am only able to test at the clients location after hours.  I just need to set it up as if it was a normal home network - I just can't figure out how.  I'm almost to the point where I want to return it.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
jkesting
New Contributor II

Re: New to Adtran and Netvanta, need help with simple config

I would check with the VoIP provider.  If they are recommending a 3140, they probably have documentation on how to configure the unit to work properly and securely with their network.  I would also suggest making sure your 3140 has the SBC license.  

I have used 3140's for a number of SIP Trunks and Hosted PBX deployments with much success.  They work well and really are beneficial in troubleshooting VoIP issues.  IMO, Adtran is the leader in this market.

jayh
New Contributor III

Re: New to Adtran and Netvanta, need help with simple config

When you say it's unresponsive, how are you accessing it? If via the network, your configuration may have locked you out.

If you're accessing it from the RS232 serial console port you should get a response. If not the hardware may be defective.

The AOS command line is very similar to classic Cisco IOS. If you are familiar with Cisco you shouldn't have issues.