cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can a 3305 or 4305 meet these VPN requirements?

Jump to solution

I'm looking at doing some testing of cellular routers on Verizon private M2M network and they have very specific requirements to terminate their private ipsec VPN to our network. I have some Netvanta 3305 and 4305 units I pulled out when switching our WAN from point to point T1's to managed MPLS and was hoping they might work. Here are the requirements i got from Verizon and would appreciate any input.

The device used to terminate a Verizon Wireless Private Network VPN must meet the following criteria:

·         Terminate IPSec tunnel in Transport mode.

·         Terminate GRE tunnel.

·         Run BGP.

·         May not be a Juniper device unless it’s older Juniper CPE (SSG series) running ScreenOS (JunOS devices only support Tunnel mode and will not work on Private Network).

·         May not be a Cisco or Juniper firewall/ASA.

·         Any device other than a Cisco router may work, but it will be up to the customer to ensure it meets the IPSec, BGP and GRE requirements. 

*Note that Verizon Wireless will not be able to offer any configuration support or guidance on any device other than Cisco routers.

Thanks,

Mike Wheeler

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can a 3305 or 4305 meet these VPN requirements?

Jump to solution

Mike,

Both the NetVanta 3305 & 4305 support BGP and GRE natively, but require EFP (Enhanced Feature Pack) upgrade/bundle) for IPsec/VPN support.  In addtion, we only support Tunnel mode VPN is AOS, NOT “Transport”. 

The following similar application/configuration guide mentions that if the far-end device is Cisco and configured for Transport, the Cisco will negotiate (fall back to) Tunnel mode of the ADTRAN .  Of course we cannot make any guarantees about what the Cisco will or will not do, but thought I’d pass this along…

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can a 3305 or 4305 meet these VPN requirements?

Jump to solution

Mike,

Both the NetVanta 3305 & 4305 support BGP and GRE natively, but require EFP (Enhanced Feature Pack) upgrade/bundle) for IPsec/VPN support.  In addtion, we only support Tunnel mode VPN is AOS, NOT “Transport”. 

The following similar application/configuration guide mentions that if the far-end device is Cisco and configured for Transport, the Cisco will negotiate (fall back to) Tunnel mode of the ADTRAN .  Of course we cannot make any guarantees about what the Cisco will or will not do, but thought I’d pass this along…

0 Kudos