cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rookus
New Contributor II

Netvanta 3200 Ethernet as a Trunk Port?

We have been using the Netvanta 3200 devices to extend our network to remote locations via T-1 interface module.  We have been using the "Transparent" mode to pass everything.  We have recently started incorporating VLan's on our network and VoIP devices.  In the past, we have programmed the ethernet port to pass everything "Transparent", but now we are connecting the switches via "Trunk" ports.  Is there a way to program the 3200's ethernet port as a "Trunk" port?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Netvanta 3200 Ethernet as a Trunk Port?

The ethernet interface can indeed be configured as a trunk. However, it isn't that easy. What is your goal? Do you want to pass a single VLAN over the T-1 or more than one? The VLAN encapsulation won't natively traverse the T-1. If only a single VLAN is needed you can map that VLAN to the T-1.

You can accomplish something similar to VLANs by using frame-relay encapsulation on the T1 and mapping each VLAN to a frame-relay PVC.

You can also use the device as a router and use VRFs to keep your traffic separate on a layer 3 basis as opposed to layer 2..

rookus
New Contributor II

Jayh,

Thank you for the reply.  My goal is to pass two VLAN's over the Adtran Equipment, one for computer and one for voice (VoIP).  Will this script work?:

ip routing

!

bridge irb

!

bridge 1 protocol ieee

!

interface eth 0/1

bridge-group 1

bridge-group 1 vlan-transparent

no ip address

no shutdown

!

interface t1 1/1

clock source internal

tdm-group 1 timeslots 1-24 speed 64

no shutdown

!

interface ppp 1

bridge-group 1

bridge-group 1 vlan-transparent

no ip address

ppp bcp tagged-frame

mtu 1524

no shutdown

cross-connect 1 t1 1/1 1 ppp 1

!

interface bvi 1

ip address X.X.X.X Y.Y.Y.Y (If you enter an IP address and subnet mask for management)

no shutdown

This was from ttps://supportforums.adtran.com/message/8106#8106 that was forwarded to me by one of our IT technicians.

What do you think?

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Yes, this should work. Don't forget to increase the MTU on the PPP interfaces to 1524 as shown to accommodate the VLAN tags.

rookus
New Contributor II

Thank you.  I will try it and let you know the result.

I appreciate the help, very much!!