Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

QoS policies for NV3305

Jump to solution

Adtran Support,

I was looking through the QoS documentation, specifically with regards to subdividing QoS classes - but I wasn't able to clearly get the information I wanted. The situation is this: I have a single ethernet interface where I am currently applying a QoS policy for voice traffic, as such:

Voice_Prio 10

match dscp 46

priority 768

What I'd like to do is also apply a QoS policy on the same interface (egress, just as the voice QoS) to give a priority bandwidth queue to RDP traffic such as:

RDP_Prio 20

match list RDP_QoS

priority 4000

Could you provide some insight on how I'd go about creating a parent/child QoS policy so that I could apply both to a single ethernet interface, outbound?

Thanks,

Brian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: QoS policies for NV3305

Jump to solution

:

Thank you for asking this question in the support community.  With Quality of Service (QoS) in AOS, there are multiple ways to achieve the same results via different configurations.  However, based on your description above, most likely you will not need to use parent/child maps.  You can simply use the same QoS map with multiple sequences.  Here is an example configuration from what you have listed above:

qos map VOICE-DSCP-RTP 10

match dscp 46

priority768

qos map VOICE-DSCP-RTP 20

match list RDP_QoS

priority 4000

I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to reply to this post with additional questions or information.  I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Also, here is the Configuring QoS in AOS document for reference.

Levi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

Thank you for asking this question in the support community.  With Quality of Service (QoS) in AOS, there are multiple ways to achieve the same results via different configurations.  However, based on your description above, most likely you will not need to use parent/child maps.  You can simply use the same QoS map with multiple sequences.  Here is an example configuration from what you have listed above:

qos map VOICE-DSCP-RTP 10

match dscp 46

priority768

match list RDP_QoS

priority 4000

I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to reply to this post with additional questions or information.  I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Also, here is the Configuring QoS in AOS document for reference.

Levi

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Levi,

Thank you for looking over my question. This is what I was looking for - I just wasn't sure how the AOS QoS worked with parent/child policies. The sequencing works out really well for what I am trying to do.

Thanks!!

Brian

Jump to solution

I have a follow-up question to this.

How do we achieve round-trip QoS for RDP, which is generally destined for TCP3389, but may not originate at that port address?

We have a similar environment as above and we have properly prioritized the RDP traffic outbound on the remote site routers. 

On the core site, we are not seeing the packets matched the same way though in this case they are coming 'inbound'. 

On occasion, file copies from the core to the remotes can starve out the RDP session 'return traffic' from the server to the client.  These show as delayed packets on the outbound / WAN interface and causes a degraded experience for the end user.

What is the recommended policy to apply at the core location so that file copy cannot starve out the RDP return traffic? This is the ACL we use to match outbound RDP. 

ip access-list extended RDP_QoS

remark Prioritize RDP Port 3389 Traffic

permit tcp any  any eq 3389

match list RDP_QoS

priority 4000

Can we limit 'class default' to only use a percentage of available bandwidth, and not exceed a certain threshold?  If so, how would we match the return RDP traffic so that it is not in class default?

Thanks!

Jump to solution

I think I answered my own question.

Prioritize outbound from the router on the server side SOURCE PORT 3389. 

ip access-list extended RDP_QoS

remark Prioritize RDP Port 3389 Traffic

permit tcp any  any eq 3389

permit tcp any eq 3389 any    log

!

I am now seeing traffic matching the RDP_QoS policy on that router.

Can you confirm that this is a viable approach?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

- I am assuming that this QoS map is applied outbound on your WAN interface. If so, then based on the ACL you defined above, TCP traffic that has either a source or destination port of 3389 will be prioritized as it is being sent out the WAN interface.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Noor