cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Vlan over MPLS

Jump to solution

I am implementing a VOIP system with 2 sites. Site 1 will host the phone system and site 2 will only have remote phones. The two sites are connected via Verizon Business MPLS service. Each site has a NetVanta 3205 on the MPLS circuit.

Site 1

- Vlan 1: 192.168.2.0/24

- Vlan 100 (Voice Vlan): 10.1.1.0/24

Site 2

- Vlan 1: 192.168.3.0/24

Trying to determine the best way to prioritize voice traffic between the sites. Is is possible to extend the VLAN 100 from Site 1 to Site 2 or is there a better way?

Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Vlan over MPLS

Jump to solution

:

For this network design, the ADTRAN's will often have two subnets (one for voice and one for data) that will be configured on the Ethernet port in trunking mode.  The ADTRAN unit will be connected to a trunk port on a switch, which will then be connected on a trunk port to the phones (which will have PCs plugged into them).  All these ports need to be trunk ports so they can pass both the voice and data subnets. 

You will configure QoS on the WAN (Frame Relay) interface to give the voice traffic priority over the data in times of network congestion.  To configure QoS you will need to determine if the phones mark their traffic with something such as a DSCP or IP Precedence value, or if you simply want to match the voice traffic, by VLAN ID or IP address subnet.  That information can be found in the guide I sent previously (configure quality of service (QoS)), but please let me know what questions you have.  Also, you can find additional information about QoS from the following post: 

The Configuring InterVLAN Routing in AOS document explains how to setup an Ethernet interface for trunking.  Here is an excerpt from that document:

Configuring 802.1Q Trunking in the CLI

1.  First, access the interface that will be serving as the 802.1Q trunk. Then, enable 802.1q mode on the interface. Enable the interface by issuing “no shutdown”.

Syntax: encapsulation 802.1q

Syntax: no shutdown

2. Once 802.1Q mode has been enabled on an Ethernet interface, you will be allowed to create multiple subinterfaces. Each subinterface will be the default gateway for devices within that VLAN.

Syntax: interface <interface> 0/1.1

3. Each subinterface must be assigned a VLAN ID. This ID represents the VLAN number that the subinterface is responsible for. Valid IDs fall in the range of 1 to 4094. At least one subinterface must be specified as the “native” VLAN. This VLAN is where all untagged traffic will be tagged to.

Syntax: vlan-id <vlan number>

Syntax: vlan-id <vlan number> native

4.  Finally, each subinterface must be assigned an IP address. This IP must reside in the desired subnet for the VLAN that has been assigned to it. After the assignment, the interface can be activated by issuing “no shutdown”.

(config-eth 0/1.1)# ip address <A.B.C.D> <subnet mask>

(config-eth 0/1.1)# no shutdown

Please, do not hesitate to reply with any additional questions, I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

Thank you for asking this question in the support community.

Typically, you will setup different subnets for voice and data at each location.  Then you will configure quality of service (QoS) to give the voice traffic priority over the data traffic, in times of network congestion.  I will be happy to give further recommendations, but before I do, could you provide some additional information about the network? 

How do the NetVanta 3200s connect to the MPLS network?  Is it via a T1 connection?

Will the phones at each location have PCs connected to them?

Where will the phones/PCs be receiving their IP addresses?  Is there a DHCP server?

Please, let me know some additional information, as well as any additional questions you have.  I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Levi,

Thanks for responding. I appreciate any feedback you can give me.

The NetVanta 3200s connect to the MPLS network via T-1 connections. The

delivery method is Frame Relay.

Phones will have PCs connected to them.

Phones at Site 1 receive their IP addresses from the PBX.

PCs at Site 1 receive their IP addresses from Windows DHCP server.

Have not determined where phones at Site 2 will get their IP addresses.

PCs at site 2 receive their IP addresses from a router.

Thanks,

Aaron

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

For this network design, the ADTRAN's will often have two subnets (one for voice and one for data) that will be configured on the Ethernet port in trunking mode.  The ADTRAN unit will be connected to a trunk port on a switch, which will then be connected on a trunk port to the phones (which will have PCs plugged into them).  All these ports need to be trunk ports so they can pass both the voice and data subnets. 

You will configure QoS on the WAN (Frame Relay) interface to give the voice traffic priority over the data in times of network congestion.  To configure QoS you will need to determine if the phones mark their traffic with something such as a DSCP or IP Precedence value, or if you simply want to match the voice traffic, by VLAN ID or IP address subnet.  That information can be found in the guide I sent previously (configure quality of service (QoS)), but please let me know what questions you have.  Also, you can find additional information about QoS from the following post: 

The Configuring InterVLAN Routing in AOS document explains how to setup an Ethernet interface for trunking.  Here is an excerpt from that document:

Configuring 802.1Q Trunking in the CLI

1.  First, access the interface that will be serving as the 802.1Q trunk. Then, enable 802.1q mode on the interface. Enable the interface by issuing “no shutdown”.

Syntax: encapsulation 802.1q

Syntax: no shutdown

2. Once 802.1Q mode has been enabled on an Ethernet interface, you will be allowed to create multiple subinterfaces. Each subinterface will be the default gateway for devices within that VLAN.

Syntax: interface <interface> 0/1.1

3. Each subinterface must be assigned a VLAN ID. This ID represents the VLAN number that the subinterface is responsible for. Valid IDs fall in the range of 1 to 4094. At least one subinterface must be specified as the “native” VLAN. This VLAN is where all untagged traffic will be tagged to.

Syntax: vlan-id <vlan number>

Syntax: vlan-id <vlan number> native

4.  Finally, each subinterface must be assigned an IP address. This IP must reside in the desired subnet for the VLAN that has been assigned to it. After the assignment, the interface can be activated by issuing “no shutdown”.

(config-eth 0/1.1)# ip address <A.B.C.D> <subnet mask>

(config-eth 0/1.1)# no shutdown

Please, do not hesitate to reply with any additional questions, I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

Do you have any further questions on this topic?  Please, let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

I went ahead and flagged this post as “Assumed Answered.”  If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as either Correct or Helpful answers with the applicable buttons.  This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily.  If you still need assistance, I would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let me know in a reply.

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post and unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Noor