cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zorper
New Contributor

Does the 3430 SBC Support Multiple Registrars Simultaneously?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am going to use a 3430 SBC to normalize SIP Trunk traffic from a PBX to an ACME SBC edge and a BroadSoft core.  I would like to have the 3430 handle the registration and authentication functions for the PBX.  
I would also like to have the 3430 to register though two ACME SBCs simultaneously, and load share traffic between both registrations.

Is this even possible, and if so can someone point me to adocument that might help?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does the 3430 SBC Support Multiple Registrars Simultaneously?

Jump to solution

Dual registration as described in the diagram and text above is indeed supported. To configure this, you would do something like this...

voice trunk T01 type sip

sip-server primary <SBC HA Pair 1>

register <PilotTN-1> auth-name <PilotTN-1-authname> password <samepassword>

!

voice trunk T02 type sip

sip-server primary <SBC HA Pair 2>

register <PilotTN-2> auth-name <PilotTN-2-authname> password <samepassword>

!

We have a variety of options for behaviors for routing calls to each trunk and what to do in the event of a failure to register and what to do if there is no response to an INVITE. For more information about that, this document has some very good information.

Let us know if you have more questions about this.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

Thank you for asking this question in the support community.  When you get a chance, can you provide some additional information about the nature of the application?  Will the PBX be registering and authenticating to the ADTRAN unit?  Also, will you elaborate on how you intend the load-sharing application to function?

Please, do not hesitate to reply to this post with any additional information or questions.  I will be happy to assist you in any way I can.

Levi

zorper
New Contributor

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply Levi.

Here is a diagram of what I am trying to do:

dual_registration_diagram.jpg

The PBX will not be registering or authenticating to the Adtran 3430.  The 3430 needs to handle simultaneous registrations and authentication through two geo-redundant carrier session border controllers to the same registrar (a Broadworks in this case.)  Load sharing from the 3430 to the SBCs should either be round-robin or proportional percentage, and the traffic from the SBCs to the 3430 will be proportional percentage.  The key here is can the Adtran SBC function maintain dual registrations at the same time?

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

Do you still need assistance with this application? If so, please do not hesitate to reply to this post.

Levi

zorper
New Contributor

Jump to solution

I'm still pretty much stuck.  I need to know if the 3430 eSBC can support dual simultaneous registrations on behalf of a PBX.  Here is an updated diagram, we determined that each trunk registering will have a separate pilot TN but have the same password.  We have been sucessful in doing this with another vendor's eSBC.  If this isn't possible with the 3430, I need to know how to configure an alternative, i.e. have the registration fail over from one carrier SBC to another carrier SBC.  Thanks.

adtran_dual_registration_07apr14.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Dual registration as described in the diagram and text above is indeed supported. To configure this, you would do something like this...

voice trunk T01 type sip

sip-server primary <SBC HA Pair 1>

register <PilotTN-1> auth-name <PilotTN-1-authname> password <samepassword>

!

voice trunk T02 type sip

sip-server primary <SBC HA Pair 2>

register <PilotTN-2> auth-name <PilotTN-2-authname> password <samepassword>

!

We have a variety of options for behaviors for routing calls to each trunk and what to do in the event of a failure to register and what to do if there is no response to an INVITE. For more information about that, this document has some very good information.

Let us know if you have more questions about this.

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

zorper wrote:

Thanks for the reply Levi.

Here is a diagram of what I am trying to do:

dual_registration_diagram.jpg

The PBX will not be registering or authenticating to the Adtran 3430.  The 3430 needs to handle simultaneous registrations and authentication through two geo-redundant carrier session border controllers to the same registrar (a Broadworks in this case.)  Load sharing from the 3430 to the SBCs should either be round-robin or proportional percentage, and the traffic from the SBCs to the 3430 will be proportional percentage.  The key here is can the Adtran SBC function maintain dual registrations at the same time?

Thanks.

An alternative method that just plain works is to use an SRV record hostname for your SBCs.  This allows you to specify failover and weighted percentage to the geo-redundant SBCs with a single hostname.  The trick is in the formatting of the DNS record where priority and weight can be configured.  To the 3430 it looks like a single trunk entry.

This is of course for traffic from the PBX to the SBCs.  Traffic weighting for calls from the SBCs would be done on the registrar and/or the SBCs themselves.

Some info and sample syntax here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRV_record

zorper
New Contributor

Jump to solution

Thanks.  I was looking into that, but I didn't want to go into DNS if I didn't have to.  Also, with Eric's config above the BroadWorks always has a path to the PBX, even if the actively registered SBC goes down.