New Contributor III

How to ping from router with priority?

Jump to solution

I have the following access list applied outbound to my ppp interface:

qos map HiPri

match precedence 6

match precedence 7

bandwidth percent 80

I want to be able to send pings from my router to the far end of my point-to-point in such a fashion that the ping packets are treated as "precedence 6" traffic, How can this be accomplished?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to ping from router with priority?

Jump to solution

- Probably the easiest way for ping traffic to the far end of your point-to-point to be treated with the same priority as "precedence 6" traffic is to add another match statement to your current QoS map. In this case, you will need to create an ACL that matches ping traffic sourced from your router and destined to the far end of your point-to-point. Then you would add a statement in your QoS map that would match the ACL.

The commands on how to do this is below:

ip access-list extended MatchPing

permit icmp host <router source IP> host <far-end IP>      <------This ACL will match ping traffic coming from the router and destined for the far-end of your point-to-point

qos map HiPri

match precedence 6

match precedence 7

match list MatchPing     <------ This statement will give the ping traffic the same priority as precedence 6 traffic outbound.

I hope this answers your question, but please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Noor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

- Probably the easiest way for ping traffic to the far end of your point-to-point to be treated with the same priority as "precedence 6" traffic is to add another match statement to your current QoS map. In this case, you will need to create an ACL that matches ping traffic sourced from your router and destined to the far end of your point-to-point. Then you would add a statement in your QoS map that would match the ACL.

The commands on how to do this is below:

ip access-list extended MatchPing

permit icmp host <router source IP> host <far-end IP>      <------This ACL will match ping traffic coming from the router and destined for the far-end of your point-to-point

qos map HiPri

match precedence 6

match precedence 7

match list MatchPing     <------ This statement will give the ping traffic the same priority as precedence 6 traffic outbound.

I hope this answers your question, but please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Noor

0 Kudos
jephph
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

Thanks for the feedback. That's a good solution, and I'll give it a try to see if it accomplishes what I'm looking to do. Thanks again, Noor.