cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jminor
New Contributor

SNMP Polling Problem

Jump to solution

I figured it out after taking a long look at my configure… it was a typo on my part and I have correct the problem (Thank you). I do have a follow up question; I have SNMP enabled on all of my NetVanta devices (3); however only one is not able to communicate with my network monitoring tool. I have the same community string and ip snmp agent is enabled; any ideas?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SNMP Polling Problem

Jump to solution

:

After the configuration has been verified, a good next step to troubleshoot SNMP is to issue the following commands from the CLI:

show snmp

debug snmp packets

They typically indicate where the problem is, whether it's a bad community name, not allowed through the firewall, packets are sourced/destined to incorrect IP address, different SNMP version, etc.

Here is the Configuring SNMP in AOS guide for reference.  If you'd like to reply with a copy of the configuration, or the output from the debug and show commands, I will be happy to review them for you.

Levi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

After the configuration has been verified, a good next step to troubleshoot SNMP is to issue the following commands from the CLI:

show snmp

debug snmp packets

They typically indicate where the problem is, whether it's a bad community name, not allowed through the firewall, packets are sourced/destined to incorrect IP address, different SNMP version, etc.

Here is the Configuring SNMP in AOS guide for reference.  If you'd like to reply with a copy of the configuration, or the output from the debug and show commands, I will be happy to review them for you.

Levi

0 Kudos
jminor
New Contributor

Jump to solution

Thank you for your response… I have a question regarding using the debug command; by issuing this command will this cause my processor to peak? I have issued the debug all command on another type of router and I could not enter the no debug command because the logging was going too fast.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

That is a good question.  Typically, debug commands can have an effect on overall processing, but it depends on the unit's application, how much it is being utilized, as well as the particular debug commands, and how much output each has.  Please, keep in mind that debug output is per-session based.  Therefore, if there is too much output, you can simply close the session, which will also stop the debugging process.  Furthermore, the debug snmp packets command does not produce a lot of output, especially when SNMP is not working, because it only has a few messages to process (which hopefully explain why it isn't working).  There is much greater output when debugging SNMP on a working unit because of the MIB walks and polling.

Let me know what additional questions you have.

Levi

jminor
New Contributor

Jump to solution

Thank you… I will run the command and keep you posted.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

Were you able to obtain any of the debug information or do you have any additional questions?  Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Levi

jminor
New Contributor

Jump to solution

I truly appreciate your involvement in this matter… after running the debug command I was able identify the problem.

Thank you,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

I flagged this post as “Assumed Answered.”  If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as either Correct or Helpful answers with the applicable buttons.  This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily.  If you have any "future advice" please feel free to post that as well.

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post and unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Noor