New Contributor

Trouble with Administrative Distances in Floating Static Routes

Jump to solution

I have the below routes:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 5.5.5.2 20 track WAN2-INTERNET-track

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ppp 1 30 track WAN1-INTERNET-track

ip route 2.2.2.0 255.255.255.0 ppp 1 10 track WAN1-INTERNET-track

ip route 3.3.3.0 255.255.255.0 ppp 1 10 track WAN1-INTERNET-track

Given that the bottom 2 routes are for specific subnets, I thought I had this configured for 2 options for default routes, where the 5.5.5.2 route would take precedence as the gateway of last resort because it has a lower administrative distance than the other default route, the PPP1.

However, the PPP1 is currently showing as the gateway of last resort, and I confirmed my tracks are UP. Is this correct? Why is the PPP1 route the gateway of last resort?

Thanks very much!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Trouble with Administrative Distances in Floating Static Routes

Jump to solution

When you specify a local interface as the next hop, the system treats the route as directly connected with an administrative distance of zero, and not as a normal static route. 

On your PPP connection, specify the IP address of the remote end of the PPP link rather than the interface as the next-hop and your configuration will work.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

When you specify a local interface as the next hop, the system treats the route as directly connected with an administrative distance of zero, and not as a normal static route. 

On your PPP connection, specify the IP address of the remote end of the PPP link rather than the interface as the next-hop and your configuration will work.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

You are a legend and a scholar. Thank you, sir!