cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gonzofan
New Contributor

VPN question

Jump to solution

First off, I'm an idiot, so I apologize for idiot question(s).

Currently I have Apple servers with VPN set up on them. Works great for me remoting into my network.

However I have others (non-Apple folks) who need VPN access and I know that my 3430 will do VPN since it has the enhanced software package.

From what I gather in some of the documents I've looked at, it APPEARS that the VPN through the router package won't work with MACs? Is that true? Seems to me VPN is VPN and once the tunnel is open, if you know the IP address and authentication info, you should be able to use it. BUT...maybe the VPN client built into the MACs won't work with the 3430?

Before I go through a lot more pain and suffering, I need to figure out if it's even worth trying to figure out how to set up the VPN if it's not going to work with my MACs anyhow.

I'd appreciate some guidance on this.

Thanks,

John

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: VPN question

Jump to solution

:

At this date, the NetVanta product line does not support the termination of L2TP, PPTP, or Cisco's proprietary EZVPN VPNs on the unit.  The NetVanta product line supports IPSec and GRE tunnels that follow the standards; additionally, the NetVanta 2000 UTM series can terminate a SSL VPN, and act as a L2TP server.

I apologize for the inconvenience of adding VPN client software on an Apple device to establish a VPN tunnel to an ADTRAN unit, but at this time that is the best option.  Please, let me know if you have additional questions, I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

John,

Thanks for posting your question on the forum! Technically any IPSec compliant VPN client should work with NetVanta routers. However, there have been users who have inquired about VPN clients that they can use with MAC to connect. Information regarding this can be found in the following thread: Re: NetVanta VPN - Apple Client .

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Noor

Jump to solution

Hmmm...unfortunately that doesn't answer my question. I guess I should have been clearer - specifically, there is a VPN client built into MAC OSX, but from what I read and from that forum thread - I'm thinking you need a third party VPN client and not the one Apple has. I guess I'll just continue to do what I'm doing now - using the VPN service on the Apple server and poke holes in the router for the VPN to get through.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

John -  It is my understanding that the native VPN client in MAC OSX uses EZVPN, which is a Cisco-proprietary feature and is not supported by AOS.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Noor

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

- I went ahead and flagged this post as “Assumed Answered.”  If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as either Correct or Helpful answers with the applicable buttons.  This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily.  If you still need assistance, I would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let me know in a reply.

Thanks,

Noor

Jump to solution

I don't consider this Answered.  There is a native VPN client in OSX which can use any of three VPN Types (protocols) - L2TP over IPSec, PPTP and Cisco IPSec.  I think what every Mac owner that hopes to fly an AdTran flag is asking is simply how do we get this working without installing any additional software.  Can you help us?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

At this date, the NetVanta product line does not support the termination of L2TP, PPTP, or Cisco's proprietary EZVPN VPNs on the unit.  The NetVanta product line supports IPSec and GRE tunnels that follow the standards; additionally, the NetVanta 2000 UTM series can terminate a SSL VPN, and act as a L2TP server.

I apologize for the inconvenience of adding VPN client software on an Apple device to establish a VPN tunnel to an ADTRAN unit, but at this time that is the best option.  Please, let me know if you have additional questions, I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post and unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Noor