Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
routera
New Contributor

Adtran 4305 router password recovery

Jump to solution

Group,

Hi. Is there a way to decrypt a password that is visible in our Adtran router's running configuration...

Im not certain what encryption algorythm the NetVanta 4305 uses...MD5, 3DES, etc... Tried several on-line tools, but none were successful.

The basic scenario is that I got locked-out of remote access to the router after it was deployed off-site... the password was not documented.

However, I still have a copy of the most recent running-config (via console cable) before it left our office but the passwords are encrypted (26 character)

Thanks!

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Adtran 4305 router password recovery

Jump to solution

I just wanted to clarify the encryption feature available in AOS. Without "service password-encryption" enabled globally, only the enable password can be encrypted. In a scenario where this is the case (service password-encryption disabled and enable password encrypted) MD5 encryption is used.

However, ADTRAN recommends that "service password-encryption" is enabled globally. With service password-encryption, ADTRAN utilizes a proprietary encryption technique so that passwords are not easily deciphered. If you previously encrypted your enable password using MD5, then you will want to reset the enable password once service password-encryption has been enabled on the router.

Because of the difficulty to recover a password that is set while service password-encryption is enabled, passwords will have to be reset if ever forgotten or lost.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Noor

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I moved this to the area so someone from the community can respond and help you there.

Thanks,

Matt

routera
New Contributor

Jump to solution

Thanks!

Message was edited by: matt - removed personal contact information

anchor
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

I'm pretty sure AOS uses md5... at least I know my 3448 does...

I was also able to decrypt my password from the running-config at this site: http://md5decryption.com/

Good luck!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I just wanted to clarify the encryption feature available in AOS. Without "service password-encryption" enabled globally, only the enable password can be encrypted. In a scenario where this is the case (service password-encryption disabled and enable password encrypted) MD5 encryption is used.

However, ADTRAN recommends that "service password-encryption" is enabled globally. With service password-encryption, ADTRAN utilizes a proprietary encryption technique so that passwords are not easily deciphered. If you previously encrypted your enable password using MD5, then you will want to reset the enable password once service password-encryption has been enabled on the router.

Because of the difficulty to recover a password that is set while service password-encryption is enabled, passwords will have to be reset if ever forgotten or lost.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Noor

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

-

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post to unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Noor