cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joesailor
New Contributor

Create a Probe to Check Two Destinations

Jump to solution

I would like to set up a proble that checks two destinations ( both DNS servers at my upstream ISP ), before I failover that link.

Is there a way to do that in AOS?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Create a Probe to Check Two Destinations

Jump to solution

:

Thank you for asking this question in the support community.  It depends on the application, but there are several ways to achieve what you are asking.  Additional information can be found in the Configuring Network Monitoring in AOS document, but here is an example configuration:

probe DNS1-PROBE icmp-echo

destination <DNS-1 IP ADDRESS>

no shutdown

probe DNS2-PROBE icmp-echo

destination <DNS-2 IP ADDRESS>

track DNS-TEST-TRACK

test list and

if probe DNS1-PROBE

if probe DNS2-PROBE

no shutdown

This is a basic example of how to use the test list and command to match multiple probes with a single track.  Using the test list command allows you to select multiple objects to be associated with and tested by the track. These objects can also be interfaces, probes, and schedules. This command also employs both Boolean logic and weighted logic, using the Boolean AND and OR, as well as weighted. The AND logic specifies the relationship between all objects placed in the list. This means that all objects in the list must be in the PASS state for the track to pass, or at least one object to be in a FAIL state for the track to fail.  The OR logic specifies the relationship between all objects in the list, but means that only one of the objects must be in the PASS state for the track to pass, and all objects in the FAIL state for the track to fail. The weighted logic gives each list entry a specified weight, and creates a threshold weight. The track remains in a PASS state when the sum of the weights of the successful tests in the list is above the threshold weight. There is no limit to how many probes, schedules, or interfaces can be tested within a single test list; however, only one type (and, or, or weighted) of test list can exist on a track at any given time.

I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to reply to this post with any additional questions or information.  I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

Thank you for asking this question in the support community.  It depends on the application, but there are several ways to achieve what you are asking.  Additional information can be found in the Configuring Network Monitoring in AOS document, but here is an example configuration:

probe DNS1-PROBE icmp-echo

destination <DNS-1 IP ADDRESS>

no shutdown

probe DNS2-PROBE icmp-echo

destination <DNS-2 IP ADDRESS>

track DNS-TEST-TRACK

test list and

if probe DNS1-PROBE

if probe DNS2-PROBE

no shutdown

This is a basic example of how to use the test list and command to match multiple probes with a single track.  Using the test list command allows you to select multiple objects to be associated with and tested by the track. These objects can also be interfaces, probes, and schedules. This command also employs both Boolean logic and weighted logic, using the Boolean AND and OR, as well as weighted. The AND logic specifies the relationship between all objects placed in the list. This means that all objects in the list must be in the PASS state for the track to pass, or at least one object to be in a FAIL state for the track to fail.  The OR logic specifies the relationship between all objects in the list, but means that only one of the objects must be in the PASS state for the track to pass, and all objects in the FAIL state for the track to fail. The weighted logic gives each list entry a specified weight, and creates a threshold weight. The track remains in a PASS state when the sum of the weights of the successful tests in the list is above the threshold weight. There is no limit to how many probes, schedules, or interfaces can be tested within a single test list; however, only one type (and, or, or weighted) of test list can exist on a track at any given time.

I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to reply to this post with any additional questions or information.  I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

I went ahead and flagged this post as “Assumed Answered.”  If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as either Correct or Helpful answers with the applicable buttons.  This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily.  If you still need assistance, I would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let me know in a reply.

Levi