cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
corvid
New Contributor

DHCP problems...

Forgive my ignorance, but our company just got everything setup with a netvanta 4305 router and for the life of me I cannot get this thing to assign ip addresses through dhcp.  I followed the steps in the "Configuring DHCP" pdf, however I feel as though I am missing something.  I set up the pool and according to the guide that is all that is needed, however no linux based computer, windows based computer, or VOIP phone will receive an IP address.  What am I doing wrong?

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DHCP problems...

:

Thank you for asking this question in the support community.  If you would like to reply and attach a copy of the current configuration, I will be happy to review it for you (please, make sure to remove any information that is sensitive to the organization).

Levi

corvid
New Contributor

Hi Levi,

Thank you for responding.  At the moment I am using an external router for dhcp, but would rather have this done by the adtran box.  The following config is without the dhcp settings that I was mucking up.  Any suggestions would be helpful.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try assigning a netbios-node-type to the Pool:

ip dhcp-server pool "Local PCs"

network 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0

default-router 192.168.1.1

netbios-node-type h-node

dns-server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

You can then add other parameters such as DNS servers, NTP servers, etc. The netbios-node-type h-node is the hybrid node and is recommended by Adtran to use.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also your default router has to be an interface on the Adtran if you want it to supply the DHCP.

interface eth 0/2

ip address dhcp hostname "Router" (change to ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 if possible)

no shutdown

Then anything with access to eth 0/2 will use the default router to obtain DHCP.

Anonymous
Not applicable

:

is right; however, for the ADTRAN device to be the DHCP server, it doesn't HAVE to be the default router, but it must have an interface assigned in that subnet to know where to deliver IP addresses.

For example, if you would like the AOS device to deliver addresses in the 192.168.1.0 /24 subnet, then the AOS device must have an interface in the 192.168.1.0 /24 subnet (Ethernet 0/2 in the example below).

ip dhcp-server pool "Local_PCs"

!

interface eth 0/2

ip address 192.168.1.x 255.255.255.0

no shutdown

If you would also like the AOS device to be the default-gateway for the PCs on the network, then the default-router <ip address> command in the DHCP pool must match the AOS device's IP address.  Below is an example of the AOS device delivering DHCP addresses in the 192.168.1.0 /24 subnet, and sending itself as the PC's default-gateway:

ip dhcp-server pool "Local_PCs"

default-router 192.168.1.1

!

interface eth 0/2

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

no shutdown

Please, let me know if you still have questions.  I will be happy to help.

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

:

Do you have any more questions on this application or configuration?  Please, let me know if you do.

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

:

I went ahead and flagged this post as “Assumed Answered.”  If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as either Correct or Helpful answers with the applicable buttons.  This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily.  If you still need assistance, I would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let me know in a reply.

Levi