cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Drop an offending MAC

Jump to solution

If I wanted to drop an offending MAC address, would I simply arp 1.1.1.1.AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF arpa or is their a better way to dispose of layer 2 handling?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Drop an offending MAC

Jump to solution

gladeeaytur:

The AOS Feature Matrix - Product Feature Matrix explains the features that are supported in each platform.  The Second Generation NV1234 does support Hardware ACLs (Configuring Hardware ACLs in AOS).

Please, let me know what additional questions you have.

Levi

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Herb:

Thank you for asking this question in the support community forum.  Typically, MAC address filtering is performed on a Layer 2 device such as a switch.  For example, in AOS, most switches support Hardware ACLs (Configuring Hardware ACLs in AOS).  The arp <ip address> <mac address> arpa command you referenced is used to enter static entries into the ARP table.  It is possible to be manipulated where the "offending" MAC address is mapped to an arbitrary IP address, but this is not recommended.  It it best practice to deal with the specific MAC address at the Layer 2 switch.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Levi, thank you for the response. I do realize I am talking layer 2 regarding MAC address.

Here is what I have.

I am a small ISP with 2 upstream providers with 2 Netvanta 4430. I use a NetVanta 1234 switch with VLAN trunking.

Can I use the Netvanta 1234 switch to address the offending MAC issue?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

gladeeaytur:

The AOS Feature Matrix - Product Feature Matrix explains the features that are supported in each platform.  The Second Generation NV1234 does support Hardware ACLs (Configuring Hardware ACLs in AOS).

Please, let me know what additional questions you have.

Levi