Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dual WAN (not internet) failover with probe & track

Jump to solution

Good afternoon!

I've run across a scenario that I'd like some assistance with. I think I got most of it, but I just want to make sure. So, in this scenario, I have 3 routers connected with a primary WAN and a secondary WAN. Each WAN circuit of the various sites are all layer 2 and I've gotten my layer 3 IP addresses traversing the WANs without an issue. Below is a sample of the IP addresses that I've using (changed the IP addresses for forum purposes):

Site 1:

LAN: 192.168.10.1 /24

WAN1: 10.255.255.1 /29

WAN2: 10.1.1.1 /29

Site 2:

LAN: 192.168.11.0 /24

WAN1: 10.255.255.2 /29

WAN2: 10.1.1.2 /29

Site 3:

LAN 192.168.12.0 /24

WAN1: 10.255.255.3 /29

WAN2: 10.1.1.3 /29

So, WAN1 is my primary WAN and I have my static routes set up. I've even gone so far as to put weighted routes in for the secondary/failover WAN. What I'd like to do is set up two probe/tracks per site so that if any site detects it's primary circuit down to the other sites, it will automatically fail over to the secondary WAN and then fail back over when the primary is back online. I've actually configured something like this before for fail over internet circuits and I'm not entirely certain it's done the same way. Not to mention the article that I read was more or less for internet redundancy which isn't what I'm looking for. So, here is what I have so far for just one of the probes/tracks - and I'm hoping someone could assist and tell me if I'm configuring this correctly or not.

Example:

probe S1_TO_S2 icmp-echo

period 5

destination 10.255.255.2

source-address 10.255.255.1

tolerance consecutive fail 5 pass 3

no shut

track S1_TO_S2

snmp trap state-change

test if S1_TO_S2

no shut

ip access-list extended pingprobe

permit icmp any 10.255.255.2

route-map ICMP permit 10

match ip address pingprobe

set interface gigabit-ethernet 0/1 (this is my primary WAN interface)

ip local policy route-map ICMP

ip route 192.168.11.0 255.255.255.0 10.255.255.2 track S1_TO_S2

ip route 192.168.11.0 255.255.255.0 10.1.1.2 100

------------------------

According to the documentation, I'll need the route-map to force my ICMP traffic out of the primary interface. In the documentation (and in other implementations with internet failover) I would normally choose the route-map attribute "set ip next-hop XXXX" but in this case, I wasn't sure I could do that since I'm simply just pining across the WAN between sites. I'm not looking to ping an address outside of the primary WAN because, both primary and secondary WAN can route to the LAN addresses of the sites.

So, could someone take a look and point me in the right direction? Normally I'd do this with eBGP using local_pref and distribute-lists to filter my routes - but with this particular set up with all Adtran routers, I figure network monitoring with track/probes would be best.

Thanks!

Brian Williams

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dual WAN (not internet) failover with probe & track

Jump to solution

brianwilliams‌:

Thank you for asking this question in the support community forum.  Based on the information you've provided, it appears the concepts you have are correct.  You would need to repeat this process on all sites, for all connections.  The idea is the same as the first example in the Configuring Network Monitor in AOS guide.

Although, everything will work with probes/tracks etc., as you mentioned at the end of you post, typically, this application would be better suited for a routing protocol, such as OSPF, RIP, or BGP.  There may be circumstances when routing protocols aren't feasible, and then you can do the probes/tracks, but if possible, a routing protocol may be a better design for this network application.

I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to reply to this post with any additional information or questions.  I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

brianwilliams‌:

Thank you for asking this question in the support community forum.  Based on the information you've provided, it appears the concepts you have are correct.  You would need to repeat this process on all sites, for all connections.  The idea is the same as the first example in the Configuring Network Monitor in AOS guide.

Although, everything will work with probes/tracks etc., as you mentioned at the end of you post, typically, this application would be better suited for a routing protocol, such as OSPF, RIP, or BGP.  There may be circumstances when routing protocols aren't feasible, and then you can do the probes/tracks, but if possible, a routing protocol may be a better design for this network application.

I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to reply to this post with any additional information or questions.  I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hey Levi,

I definitely wanted to go the BGP route, but I wasn't able to find a way to implement distribute-lists to filter the out-going routes. I had some issues when testing in GNS3 without using distribute-lists to filter my outgoing routes with the failover actually occurring, even with my local-pref set. Is this a limitation in AOS, where distribute-list isn't available in the BGP configuration?

Thanks for taking the time and reaching back out! I really appreciate the help!

Brian

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

brianwilliams‌:

As I'm sure you know, there are multiple ways you can design/configure the same application via routing protocols.  It can be done with prefix-lists, route-maps, local-preference, distribute-lists, etc.  If you would like to use distribute lists in BGP, the Configuring BGP in AOS 18.03/R10.1.0 or later guide explains distribute lists starting on page 33.

Let me know what questions you have.

Levi