cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moulegend
New Contributor III

Configuring WAN Failover with Network Monitor

Jump to solution

It was relayed to me that if our primary internet connection is using HDLC, Frame-Relay, or PPP, then I can simply use floating static routes instead of network monitoring to configure the failover.

Our primary interface is PPP.

It seems that the network monitoring may be easier to configure.  What information is available for setting up floating static routes as mentioned by noor previously?  I'm thinking it may just be the best practice to go ahead with the network monitoring fail over but wanted to get some information in regards to this. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Configuring WAN Failover with Network Monitor

Jump to solution

:

For HDLC, Frame Relay, and PPP interfaces, typically the floating static route is much easier to configure, and will take over as the primary default route if the physical interface goes down. 

To configure a floating static route in the CLI use the following syntax:  ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <next hop IP address> <admin distance>.  For example, ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 1.1.1.1 10.

To configure a floating static route in the web interface navigate to the following: 

Data > Route Table > Destination Address:  (0.0.0.0) > Destination Mask (0.0.0.0) > Gateway (Address <next hop IP address>) > Administrative Distance <value greater than 1> (typically 10) > Add

Please, let me know if you have any questions.  I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

For HDLC, Frame Relay, and PPP interfaces, typically the floating static route is much easier to configure, and will take over as the primary default route if the physical interface goes down. 

To configure a floating static route in the CLI use the following syntax:  ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <next hop IP address> <admin distance>.  For example, ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 1.1.1.1 10.

To configure a floating static route in the web interface navigate to the following: 

Data > Route Table > Destination Address:  (0.0.0.0) > Destination Mask (0.0.0.0) > Gateway (Address <next hop IP address>) > Administrative Distance <value greater than 1> (typically 10) > Add

Please, let me know if you have any questions.  I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

0 Kudos
moulegend
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

Thanks for your response levi.  That seems pretty straight forward and simple and I'm assuming will work just the same as the network monitor in regards to fail over.  Just to make sure I'm reading that correct, I would use 0.0.0.0 for both the Destination address and Mask and then just include the next hop for the Gateway of my backup ISP correct?

Also, in regards to my router configurations, up until this point I've done all the configurations on the Eth 0/2 port of the router since the Eth 0/1 port is in production.  What would be the simplest way to convert those configuration over.  I downloaded the configs as they are right now and thought I could just manually update that file before I upload it back but thought that might cause an error.  Worst case scenario, I'll just reconfigure eth 0/1 with everything needed, put in the floating static route and then plug the backup ISP in to Eth 0/2.

Should be in business then.

Thoughts?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

For the floating static route, the key aspect is the administrative distance.  You configure the static route, but have to add the administrative distance at the end so it only becomes the selected route if the primary route (with a lower administrative distance) drops out of the route table do to a failure.

You can manually configure Ethernet 0/1 or copy the configuration settings from Ethernet 0/2 and paste on 0/1.  Either of those options will work.

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

Do you have any additional questions on this topic?  Please, let me know if I can help.

Levi

moulegend
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

Hey Levi,

Thanks for all of your help. We’re half way through our move and should be completed this weekend. All your help and support has been impeccable. Thank you so much!

James

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

I went ahead and flagged this post as “Assumed Answered.”  If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as either Correct or Helpful answers with the applicable buttons.  This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily.  If you still need assistance, I would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let me know in a reply.

Levi

moulegend
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

Hey Levi,

I wanted to first say thank you for everything over the past several weeks. We're in our new building and everything is up and operational.  I'm waiting for our NetVanta 150 piece to arrive and plan on hooking that up as soon as it arrives.

Our secondary fiber solution is just about in place and I'm reviewing back over my notes on configuring the Floating Static Route.  I flipped the configs that I had and then installed the networks so my Encapsulation and VLAN's are all setup on Eth 0/1 now.  My Eth 0/2 has an internal IP address assigned so I can access it.  I'm looking to add in the floating static route but want to make sure I understand it correctly.

The Destination Address would be my static IP given by the ISP along with the Mask and then the Gateway would be the next Hop IP which was given to me as well correct?  I'm assuming I plug the cat 6 cable from my secondary ISP Switch into my the 5305 Eth 0/2 port.  Is there any config I need to do on the Eth 0/2 port to make the floating static route work?  My Primary Line is PPP through Verizon, but I'll have to check on my Secondary line they are straight fiber and bringing a Cisco Switch to my location to tie in.  Your help is greatly appreciated.

James

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

Based on the information you provided above, there are several configuration changes you would need to make to Ethernet 0/2 if you are going to use it as a backup/failover Internet port.  You will need to configure it with the IP address information the ISP provided you with, as well as setup the firewall so private IP addresses can be network address translated (NAT) to public IP addresses that can be routed over the Internet.  Furthermore, the route you described above is not correct for a default route, or a floating static default route.  For a default route, the router must determine if the incoming packet is destined for that router, one of the attached interfaces, or some other network. So the default route (defined by the static route command ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 A.B.C.D where A.B.C.D. is the address of the far end router serving as the gateway for all unknown route packets) if configured, serves as the destination for packets that a route is not known for. it is also known as the gateway of last resort.  All traffic not matching a more specific static route will use the default / last resort route (such as Internet traffic).

For the floating static route, the key aspect is the administrative distance.  You configure the static route, but have to add the administrative distance at the end so it only becomes the selected route if the primary route (with a lower administrative distance) drops out of the route table do to a failure.  For HDLC, Frame Relay, and PPP interfaces, typically the floating static route is much easier to configure, and will take over as the primary default route if the physical interface goes down.

To configure a floating static route in the CLI use the following syntax: ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <next hop IP address> <admin distance>.  For example, ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 1.1.1.1 10.

Therefore, in your application the "next hop IP address" would be the default-gateway IP address the ISP provided you out the "backup" connection.

Levi

moulegend
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

Okay.  So I’m thinking that once my secondary ISP is terminated and they hand over to me an Ethernet Cable, I can plug that into one of my switches and then set the floating static route information and eliminate any configs on the Eth 0/2 port.  Is that correct?

V/R,

James W. Mou

IT & Personnel Security Manager

GCC Technologies, LLC

Message was edited by: levi (Removed contact information in email signature)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

I do not think what you stated above is correct.  If you are going to connect the secondary ISP Ethernet cable to Ethernet 0/2 on the ADTRAN then there are several configuration changes you would need to make to Ethernet 0/2 if you are going to use it as a backup/failover Internet port.  You will need to configure it with the IP address information the ISP provided you with, as well as setup the firewall, so private IP addresses can be network address translated (NAT) to public IP addresses that can be routed over the Internet.

Let me know what additional questions you have.

Levi

moulegend
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

I'm saying I'm not going to plug anything into the Eth 0/2 port.  I will plug the secondary line into my switch.  Then put in the floating static route information.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

I apologize, but I do not follow the failover application.   It appears you have a primary Internet connection via PPP, and if that goes down, you want to route traffic out the secondary connection, but I do not understand how the ADTRAN unit connects to the secondary connection.  Maybe it would help to have a network diagram.

Levi

moulegend
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

Our secondary ISP is bringing a CISCO switch inside the building and terminating their fiber. From that switch they will hand off to me a Ethernet Cable. I can either plug that into Eth 0/2 or my Managed Switch.

moulegend
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

My Secondary connection will be put in place tomorrow.  They will be terminating into a Cisco switch and then handing me a Ethernet cable to plug into my network.  For the floating static route to work, would I just simply configure Eth 0/2 with the information of the secondary IP address and then add the floating static route to the Route table on the Eth 0/1 side?

moulegend
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

Am I correct in assuming that I can use the PPPoE Interface mode for the configuration of Eth 0/2 because it will be a direct connection to the switch they are providing.

moulegend
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

Actually the more I read up on this, I might just have to use the Network Monitor.