Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
darkenrhal
New Contributor III

NetVanta 6240 Series Configuration Help

Jump to solution

Hello,

We have been working with the NetVanta 6247 with AOSR10.8.0. And, well, we are not making much progress in creating a basic configuration. I have enclosed a diagram (powerpoint and acrobat formats are available) of our configuration that includes three network SIP devices, two POT telephones and two FXO lines.

Is there someone or somewhere where I could get a basic configuration for the NetVanta 62407 based on the enclosed diagram.  There is a lot of information on the TA900 and NetVanta 7000 series, but not much on the NetVanta 6240 series at the ADTRAN support sites.

So far, only the SIP devices can call each other and the SIP devices can call the POTs lines.  The SIP devices cannot reach the FXO lines. The POTs cannot call the SIP devices and the POTs cannot call the FXO lines. I also have a T1 CAS (Robbed Bit) that is configured with 12 FXOs and 12 FXS DSx channels.

Thanks for any help I can receive,

Mike W

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: NetVanta 6240 Series Configuration Help

Jump to solution

The 6240 series are very similar to the TA900 series in terms of programming.

Here are some general guidelines for programming voice devices.

Individual phones, either analog FXS or SIP that communicate their signaling to the Adtran device are considered voice users and configured as such in the GUI under voice users.

Interfaces or groups of interfaces connecting to external voice networks or SIP connections to external voice networks are voice trunks and configured as such.  Within each trunk you have the ability to do DNIS match/substitute to normalize dialing patterns exiting the trunk (add/remove area code, leading "1", etc.)

Call routing among voice users dialing the number of another voice user should for the most part just work.  You may need to tweak dial-plans to accommodate the number or pattern of digits.

Call routing to number patterns delivered to a voice trunk is done by creating a voice grouped-trunk and specifying the pattern of numbers on the trunk, then adding the trunk(s) to which that pattern should route to the group.  Patterns can be a group of numbers on a PBX, or the whole public network, or a single number.

FXOs are kind of tricky.  They are considered trunks because you can route out to the public network on an FXO, but they also send ringing to the Adtran without a specific destination and you will probably want to route those calls to a specific endpoint.  Here's a link to an old blog post I wrote about terminating calls incoming on FXO to a SIP endpoint that might give you some ideas.  The "trunk-number" defines the endpoint pattern where incoming ringing calls on the FXO(s) should go.

Importing offnet numbers to Broadsoft | Impulse

Your channel bank with 12 FXO and 12 FXS will be treated as one or more trunks for the FXOs.

For your first venture, you're throwing everything but the kitchen sink into the mix.  Maybe you want to add a DID/DPT fax server, a PRI inbound from telco, a wink-start PBX, a few ground-start lines, neon MWI and ring groups just to make things complete (just kidding)!  Have fun.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

Can you post a text file of the configuration (show run)?  Comment out any passwords and sensitive information.

darkenrhal
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

Hello, i am new with the ADTRAN devices, so please be gentile.

darkenrhal
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

oops, sorry, gentle

darkenrhal
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

ADTRAN NetVanta Help.jpg

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

darkenrhal wrote:

oops, sorry, gentle

Actually, I can do both... 

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

The 6240 series are very similar to the TA900 series in terms of programming.

Here are some general guidelines for programming voice devices.

Individual phones, either analog FXS or SIP that communicate their signaling to the Adtran device are considered voice users and configured as such in the GUI under voice users.

Interfaces or groups of interfaces connecting to external voice networks or SIP connections to external voice networks are voice trunks and configured as such.  Within each trunk you have the ability to do DNIS match/substitute to normalize dialing patterns exiting the trunk (add/remove area code, leading "1", etc.)

Call routing among voice users dialing the number of another voice user should for the most part just work.  You may need to tweak dial-plans to accommodate the number or pattern of digits.

Call routing to number patterns delivered to a voice trunk is done by creating a voice grouped-trunk and specifying the pattern of numbers on the trunk, then adding the trunk(s) to which that pattern should route to the group.  Patterns can be a group of numbers on a PBX, or the whole public network, or a single number.

FXOs are kind of tricky.  They are considered trunks because you can route out to the public network on an FXO, but they also send ringing to the Adtran without a specific destination and you will probably want to route those calls to a specific endpoint.  Here's a link to an old blog post I wrote about terminating calls incoming on FXO to a SIP endpoint that might give you some ideas.  The "trunk-number" defines the endpoint pattern where incoming ringing calls on the FXO(s) should go.

Importing offnet numbers to Broadsoft | Impulse

Your channel bank with 12 FXO and 12 FXS will be treated as one or more trunks for the FXOs.

For your first venture, you're throwing everything but the kitchen sink into the mix.  Maybe you want to add a DID/DPT fax server, a PRI inbound from telco, a wink-start PBX, a few ground-start lines, neon MWI and ring groups just to make things complete (just kidding)!  Have fun.

0 Kudos
darkenrhal
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

Thanks jahy,

I am looking at your writing and TA900 configuration documents now!

Mike Wms

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Mike W.

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post and unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks!

David

darkenrhal
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

I have a couple of things that I may want to add to the site. We have been working without NetVanta and after we learned that the OS and function of the NetVanta 6000 series was that of the TA900 series we are making some progress.

We are having a problem with mapping our Robbed Bit T1 channels to the NetVanta's FXO and FXS ports. We are also have trouble dialing to a SIP device, but we are able to dial from that SIP device to the FXS ports and SIP registered devices. I can post those issues to the site if desired.

We are able to map the FXS to FXO, FXO to FXS, FXO to registered SIP, and registered SIP to FXO.

Thanks,

Michael Williams

THAAD, TFCC/MITRE

c. 256.426.5769

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

darkenrhal wrote:

We are having a problem with mapping our Robbed Bit T1 channels to the NetVanta's FXO and FXS ports. We are also have trouble dialing to a SIP device, but we are able to dial from that SIP device to the FXS ports and SIP registered devices.  I can post those issues to the site if desired.

We are able to map the FXS to FXO, FXO to FXS, FXO to registered SIP, and registered SIP to FXO.

I'm not sure what you mean by "mapping" in this context.

The robbed bit channels will be configured as trunks.  These are different from the physical analog FXO and FXS ports on the device itself. 

For the dialing issues, a "debug voice verbose" of a successful and failed call as well as the sanitized configuration and a "show sip user-registration" and "show sip trunk-registration" would be useful. 

darkenrhal
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

Thanks JayH, I have used and am using the various debug commands. Those commands have helped us understand how the NetVanta operates/acts upon it trunks.  And thanks for layout that is considered a trunk and what is considered a user.  What I have not been able to find is a command that would show the received or sent digits of the trunks.  Is there such a command? What I mean by mapping is similar to what the TA850 provided. Our T1 channels were "mapped" to each of the channels for the TA850 device, ie, channel 17 of the T1 was mapped to FXO 1/17. When that channel is accessed from the end device of the T1, a dial tone from FXO1/17 is received where by the user then dials the desired outside extension, 11 or 10 digit dialing. Thanks, Mike Wms

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

What I have not been able to find is a command that would show the received or sent digits of the trunks.  Is there such a command?

Debug voice verbose will show this as well as quite a bit of other output.  That's what makes the debug useful, it shows the dialed digits and what output device matches them.  It can be overwhelming on a busy production device.  Debug voice switchboard may also be useful if verbose is too noisy.

What I mean by mapping is similar to what the TA850 provided. Our T1 channels were "mapped" to each of the channels for the TA850 device, ie, channel 17 of the T1 was mapped to FXO 1/17.

Ok, I understand. This works differently.  The TA900 isn't a channel bank or DACS. Its FXS ports are just programmed as voice users with a "voice user" digit pattern and connected to an FXS interface. They don't require a T1 at all.  Its FXO port (or 8 ports on a TA924e-L2) are configured as a trunk or trunks.

Your RBS T1 will terminate to a physical T1 interface of the TA900.  You then build one or more trunks type T1 RBS and assign the channels to the trunk.  So, if you have 12 channels going to an RBS T1, you would assign channels 1 through 12 to the trunk.  Calls coming in on the trunk would be routed to the "switchboard" which is Adtran's language for the call routing engine in the TA900.  You can do some digit manipulation in the trunk with DNIS match/substitute commands. RBS trunks generally don't do ANI, so you will have to specify an outbound ANI for calls from the trunk.  If the trunk is going to a PBX or carrier you can include it in a voice grouped-trunk to route digit patterns to it.

If you're trying to connect individual analog stations to FXS ports on a channel bank and then connect its T1 to the TA900, I haven't labbed this up, but you would probably want to create a trunk for each FXS and then a grouped trunk with just the DID to ring each phone on each trunk.  In my opinion, you would be better off with a TA924 for up to 24 analog stations directly rather than using a channel bank.

A channel bank may not be directly compatible unless it can do E-and-M toward the TA900 and loop-start to its analog ports.  I haven't tried it and it may not be supported.  If you need a lot of analog FXS ports you might be better off with a number of TA924s and SIP trunk between them or just get a legacy analog PBX.

Message was edited by: jayh I just realized this was about a Netvanta 6240 but it's really almost the same.  Differences are discussed in this thread. ->  https://supportforums.adtran.com/message/8495#8495

darkenrhal
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

Thanks JayH,

I have used and am using the various debug commands. What I have not been able to find is a command that would show the received or sent digits. Is there such a command?

Thanks,

Michael Williams

THAAD, TFCC/MITRE

c. 256.426.5769

darkenrhal
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

Williams, Michael FFRDC MDA/THG would like to recall the message, "[NetVanta 6000 Series] - NetVanta 6240 Series Configuration Help".

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

darkenrhal wrote:

I have used and am using the various debug commands. What I have not been able to find is a command that would show the received or sent digits.  Is there such a command?

Debug voice verbose should show it.  For SIP and PRI you won't see the digits one-at-a-time because they're sent as an out-of-band message with the entire string en-bloc.  For analog and robbed-bit interfaces you'll see individual line-by-line entries for each digit. 

darkenrhal
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

That is funny about the shown digits for the SIP vrs T1 RBS. When using the Voice Verbose, I am able to see the dialed or the received digits for the SIP calls, I am not able to see the digits of the T1 RBS. The T1 RBS seems to be the only trunk for which i am having an issue.

When i dial into the NetVanta via the T1 RBS, i get the following.

10:50:27.952 TONESERVICES.EVENTS t1 0/1.0.1 - dsp 0/2.1 - Tone Detection: constructed

10:50:27.952 TONESERVICES.EVENTS t1 0/1.0.1 - dsp 0/2.1 - Tone Detection: starting

10:50:27.952 TONESERVICES.EVENTS t1 0/1.0.1 - dsp 0/2.1 - Tone Detection: TDM map

10:50:27.953 TRKPORT.00:01:01 00:01:01  Received Offhook

10:50:28.167 TRKPORT.00:01:01 00:01:01  WinkSent 10:50:29.949 TM.T07 01 GetDID - TMTimerExpired() no action required

10:50:31.951 TM.T07 01 GetDID - Tism_call(PASS) 10:50:31.951 TM.T07 01 GetDID -> Calling

10:50:31.952 TA.T07 01 TAAppearance         rcvd: inboundCall from TM

10:50:31.952 TA.T07 01 State change      >> TAAppearance->TAInboundCall (TAS_Calling)

10:50:31.952 TA.T07 01 TAAppearance         sent: call to SB

10:50:31.953 SB.CALL 195 Idle                 Called the call routine with 10:50:31.953 SB.CALL 195 Idle                 No LOCAL station matched dialed number ()

10:50:31.953 SB.CALL 195 Idle                 No TRUNK accepted dialed number ()

10:50:31.953 SB.CALL 195 Idle                 No routable destination found on call from () to ()

10:50:31.954 SB.CALL 195 State change      >> Idle->CallIdlePending

10:50:31.954 TA.T07 01 TAInboundCall        CallResp event accepted

10:50:31.954 TA.T07 01 State change      >> TAInboundCall->TAClearingComplete (TAS_Clearing)

10:50:31.955 TM.T07 01 Calling - tachg_Clearing

10:50:31.955 TM.T07 01 sendTone(Busy) from Calling

10:50:31.955 TONESERVICES.EVENTS Busy is now reserved.

10:50:31.956 TONESERVICES.EVENTS Starting Busy

10:50:31.956 TM.T07 01 Calling -> SendBusyTone

You can see the call being sent to the Switch Board, however, there is not match and the NetVanta eventually sends the SendBusyTone, SendOffHook... commands and the distant end goes onhook. I cannot see the in-pulsed digits, so i do not know what is being received. The distant end PBX shows the digit setup, the Wink, and the out-pulsed digits.  Any suggestions on capturing digits on the RBS?

darkenrhal
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

Oh, i forgot.

I have the T1 RBS and a SIP trunk that goes to the same external device, so both would use the same phone number to reach the terminals of the end device. How do i specify the trunk I want to use (SIP, T1) for outbound calls to terminal off this device other then a list of trunks in a trunk group?

Thanks,

Mike Wms

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

darkenrhal wrote:

That is funny about the shown digits for the SIP vrs T1 RBS. When using the Voice Verbose, I am able to see the dialed or the received digits for the SIP calls, I am not able to see the digits of the T1 RBS. The T1 RBS seems to be the only trunk for which i am having an issue.

Actually, it is showing that no digits are detected.

10:50:27.952 TONESERVICES.EVENTS t1 0/1.0.1 - dsp 0/2.1 - Tone Detection: constructed

10:50:27.952 TONESERVICES.EVENTS t1 0/1.0.1 - dsp 0/2.1 - Tone Detection: starting

10:50:27.952 TONESERVICES.EVENTS t1 0/1.0.1 - dsp 0/2.1 - Tone Detection: TDM map

10:50:27.953 TRKPORT.00:01:01 00:01:01  Received Offhook

10:50:28.167 TRKPORT.00:01:01 00:01:01  WinkSent 10:50:29.949 TM.T07 01 GetDID - TMTimerExpired() no action required

10:50:31.951 TM.T07 01 GetDID - Tism_call(PASS) 10:50:31.951 TM.T07 01 GetDID -> Calling

10:50:31.952 TA.T07 01 TAAppearance         rcvd: inboundCall from TM

10:50:31.952 TA.T07 01 State change      >> TAAppearance->TAInboundCall (TAS_Calling)

10:50:31.952 TA.T07 01 TAAppearance         sent: call to SB

10:50:31.953 SB.CALL 195 Idle                 Called the call routine with 10:50:31.953 SB.CALL 195 Idle                 No LOCAL station matched dialed number ()

10:50:31.953 SB.CALL 195 Idle                 No TRUNK accepted dialed number ()

10:50:31.953 SB.CALL 195 Idle                 No routable destination found on call from () to ()

10:50:31.954 SB.CALL 195 State change      >> Idle->CallIdlePending

10:50:31.954 TA.T07 01 TAInboundCall        CallResp event accepted

10:50:31.954 TA.T07 01 State change      >> TAInboundCall->TAClearingComplete (TAS_Clearing)

10:50:31.955 TM.T07 01 Calling - tachg_Clearing

10:50:31.955 TM.T07 01 sendTone(Busy) from Calling

10:50:31.955 TONESERVICES.EVENTS Busy is now reserved.

10:50:31.956 TONESERVICES.EVENTS Starting Busy

10:50:31.956 TM.T07 01 Calling -> SendBusyTone

See the line:

No digits were detected.  Normally you'll see individual digits scroll by.

Check your PBX settings for the trunk outbound.  Make sure it is set for DTMF.  Not pulse which will toggle the signaling bits like a rotary dial, and not MF which is a signaling method used by the device in my avatar (which became a lot less fun quite a while ago).

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

darkenrhal wrote:

I have the T1 RBS and a SIP trunk that goes to the same external device, so both would use the same phone number to reach the terminals of the end device. How do i specify the trunk I want to use (SIP, T1) for outbound calls to terminal off this device other then a list of trunks in a trunk group?

That's how you do it.  If you want the destination reachable by the secondary trunk if the primary one fails, include the pattern with a higher cost. 

voice grouped-trunk primary-tg

trunk T01

accept 312-555-1212 cost 0

voice grouped-trunk backup-tg

trunk T02

accept 312-555-1212 cost 200