Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlevasseur
Contributor
Contributor

7100/Phones/UC Server Update Sequence

Jump to solution

We've been running our 7100 for about 3 years now and I need to update the 7100 firmware to fix some call handling issues.  I have been reading through the update guidelines for the latest Firmware 10.8.1 then I hit the minimum requirements for phones and UC Server...  We don't meet the minimums on either.  So what is the recommended update sequence?

Update Phone Firmware -> Update UC Server Software -> Update 7100 Firmware?

Current Setup:

7100: Firmware A4.12.00.E -> 10.8.1

712 Phones: 2.2.0 -> 2.3.1

Polycom 650 Phones: ???

Polycom IP 6000 Phones: ???

UC Server 4.6.4 -> 5.0.x -> 5.4.1 (Ick)

Seems like a lot to update.  I would assume the phones to be a safe update, probably first.  How is the UC Server update?  Then when those are complete I would assume the 7100 update last?

Suggestions?  Words of encouragement?  Wishes of luck?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 7100/Phones/UC Server Update Sequence

Jump to solution

dlevasseur wrote:

We've been running our 7100 for about 3 years now and I need to update the 7100 firmware to fix some call handling issues.  I have been reading through the update guidelines for the latest Firmware 10.8.1 then I hit the minimum requirements for phones and UC Server...  We don't meet the minimums on either.  So what is the recommended update sequence?

Current Setup:

Seems like a lot to update.  I would assume the phones to be a safe update, probably first.  How is the UC Server update?  Then when those are complete I would assume the 7100 update last?

Dan, I know we discussed this on the ticket itself. I'm posting the process for anyone that might be curious.

• For the 7100, that is the correct order. You may want to back up a copy of the configuration in case you have to downgrade for an unforeseen issue. There are multiple command structure changes between A4/A5 and R10 that cause problems when downgrading.
  • I would recommend 2.4.1 for the IP 700 phones
  • Polycom SoundPoint and SoundStation phones should go to 4.0.2b after the upgrade to R10.8.1
  • UC Server can be upgraded last. However, if you are using IVR services on UC Server, you may want to upgrade it right after the 7100, as there are call flow changes between those two products in R10 and UC Version 5.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Dan, since you already have a ticket open for this issue, please continue to work with ADTRAN Support directly through your ticket.  After the issue is resolved please come back to this post to update it with the solution so other community members can benefit from the solution.

Jump to solution

There is no ticket open.  Their basic response is "We can't do it for you, but if you mess something up call us".  Thanks guys, my $2100/yr hard at work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Upgrading the UC server and IP phones is recommended, but may not always be required with a NetVanta 7100 upgrade.  Those situations need to be evaluated and determined solely by ADTRAN Technical Support with a support ticket.  We do have an open ticket for you on this, and will have someone follow-up to see if a complete upgrade of all components is needed in your specific situation.

Thanks,

Matt

Jump to solution

Do you have a support ticket number?  My ticket regarding this update was RQST00001544201 Here is my correspondence:

Adtran_JamesJones: Firmware upgrades or configuration changes performed by ADTRAN Support are a paid service. You would need to purchase two Professional Service Vouchers in order for us to upgrade the system. You can purchase those here: http://www.adtran.com/psv

Me:  Well, it was worth a shot.  Might as well try it myself and if that gets botched then spend the money.

Adtran_JamesJones: If you run into an issue, it is covered under normal support, as long as you call during business hours. Please let us know if you run into any problems.

That's the last I heard.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

dlevasseur wrote:

Current Setup:

Dan, I know we discussed this on the ticket itself. I'm posting the process for anyone that might be curious.

• For the 7100, that is the correct order. You may want to back up a copy of the configuration in case you have to downgrade for an unforeseen issue. There are multiple command structure changes between A4/A5 and R10 that cause problems when downgrading.
  • I would recommend 2.4.1 for the IP 700 phones
  • Polycom SoundPoint and SoundStation phones should go to 4.0.2b after the upgrade to R10.8.1
  • UC Server can be upgraded last. However, if you are using IVR services on UC Server, you may want to upgrade it right after the 7100, as there are call flow changes between those two products in R10 and UC Version 5.
0 Kudos