cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schumatt
New Contributor

Caller ID from Viking Doorphone Controller on FXO port

I have a NetVanta 7100 with a Viking C-2000B doorphone controller attached to one of the built-in FXO ports.  It works great, except for how the caller ID is presented to the NetVanta.

Since the Viking controller is seen as an analog trunk, it can send "caller ID" information.  We've always had trouble with this, so I disabled the sending of caller ID info in the Viking. I never spent much time on it, as I was able to have the trunk go to a ring group, where I used the caller ID prefix to add "DOOR" to the incoming caller ID (basically empty).  That worked great until I upgraded the NetVanta to A5.03 and the phones to 2.2.0.  Now when the Viking sends its empty caller ID, the NetVanta (or is the phone) refuses to display the caller ID prefix, so we just get "UNKNOWN" as the caller ID on calls from the door phone controller.

Tonight I attempted to get it working as designed (where the Viking sends Caller ID to the NV which shows which door is actually calling).  I re-enabled the Viking to send caller ID, then plugged a basic analog phone w/ caller ID into the Viking.  It appears the Viking simply sends the door number (1, 2, 3, or 4) as the number and "Entry Phone 1", "Entry Phone 2", etc. as the name.  I plugged the Viking back into the FXO port on the NetVanta, pressed the call button on a door phone, and found that the NetVanta still shows "UNKNOWN" for the calls.

Is the NetVanta discarding the caller ID because it only contains a single digit?  If so, any way around that?

What I've done for now is enabled incoming caller ID override on that FXO trunk so that it inserts "123", causing the ring group caller ID prefix to work again, so the phones display "DOOR_123" when the controller places a call.

I'd really like to get the door phone controller's caller ID into the NetVanta so things can work as advertised, and the users can very easily see which door calls are coming from.  Please let me know what config sections or debug output would be helpful to share.

Thanks,

Matt Schultz

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Caller ID from Viking Doorphone Controller on FXO port

Matt,

Is caller-id enabled on the analog trunks connected to the door phone controller?  It would look like this in the configuration for your analog trunks:

!

voice trunk T01 type analog supervision loop-start

caller-id

trunk-number 8001

connect fxo 0/1

rtp delay-mode adaptive

codec-group g711_first

!

If it is enabled can you attach your configuration (strip out passwords, public IPs, public phone numbers, etc) and also the output from a debug sip stack messages and debug voice verbose when you recreate the issue?

Thanks,
Matt

Caller ID is enabled on the trunk.

I'm attaching the config and the capture with those debug options enabled.  One has the incoming caller id override enabled, the other does not, if that makes a difference.

Also, for testing, I created a new ring group with a single member for the door phone to ring to.  So, in the captures, you'll see it's going to 8103 (with x1010 as the only member), where normally it would go to 8102 (with almost every phone as a member) during night mode.

Anything else I can provide, let me know.

Thanks,
Matt

Message was edited by: schumatt  -- Replaced separate attachments with a single ZIP file containing all three files.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see a "CID Timeout" error.

Did you try plugging in a standard phone into the Viking controller to make sure that the Caller ID is being sent?

Yep, with a regular analog phone connected to the Viking, Caller ID comes in with "1", "2", "3", or "4" as the number and "Entry Phone 1", etc. as the name.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Matt,

A CID timeout message happens when we don’t detect a caller-id signal.  Can you get a DSP capture of this to accompany a new debug?  I would like the previous debugs enabled as well as a debug interface fxo 1/3.  Is there a way to make the Viking send more than one digit to see if that makes a difference?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt,

Here is a new capture with debug interface fxo 1/3 enabled, as well as the DSP captures.

What you'll hear after the ringing (I assume?) and data tones are a single short beep (sent by the Viking's when you pick up its call), me saying "Testing" (this would be the audio provided to the door phone), two touchtones (* * -- the command to unlock the door), and the buzz sound generated by the Viking for the duration that the door strike is unlocked.

Nothing in the Viking documentation mentions being able to modify the caller ID output, so I'm guessing it's not possible to have it send more digits.

Thanks for your assistance.  If anything else would be helpful, let me know.

--Matt

Anonymous
Not applicable

A colleague sent me the manual for the Viking.

You may want to try to set the ring cadence to standard by pressing *4 in the programming. (By default it's set to a custom setting)

It also mentions that you can call Viking to setup a custom caller id.

Hopefully once of these help.

Thanks for the suggestions... I have already set the ring cadence to standard, but that didn't make a difference.

As a last resort, I can try sending the unit back to Viking to have it programmed with custom Caller ID.  But, I need to know if there are any parameters that I need to work with for the AdTran to pick it up.  I would hate to have it reprogrammed only to find out it still doesn't work.

Thanks,
Matt

Anonymous
Not applicable

Matt,

Thank you for supplying this information. For us to move forward a support ticket will need to be created.  Refer to this post when you create the ticket so the Support Engineer will have all of the needed information.  After we reach a conclusion from the support ticket please return to this post to update it with the outcome so others can benefit from it.

Thanks,
Matt