Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonhutchins
New Contributor

Phone Data VLAN question

Jump to solution

Hi,

I understand that by default the phone uses VLAN1 to reach the server, then it's quickly told to use VLAN2 and it finishes it's registration.  My challenge is that I would like to use a different data VLAN for the PC port (VLAN10).  There is no routing between VLAN1 and VLAN10.  Is there a way to have the data VLAN be VLAN10 once the phone is up or is there a way to just make the phone boot on VLAN2 and use VLAN10 as the native data VLAN?

The reason for this is that our NetVanta has a dedicated T1 for SIP calls and we'd like to move the user traffic to our 10mbps Internet link.  I'm good with networking but not a NetVanta expert.  I'm open to suggestions on solving this issue.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Phone Data VLAN question

Jump to solution

this may be a better example of what your port shold look like:

interface eth 0/1

spanning-tree edgeport

no shutdown

switchport access vlan 10

switchport voice vlan 2

this is what you can do with a range command:

int ran eth 0/1-12

switchport voice vlan 2

!      if you have trunk on the port add "switchport mode access"  this will have the effect of only allowing vlan 10 and 2 on the port.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

One way is to change the poe ports that you are useing for the phones to "switchport access vlan 10"  as long as your dhcp server has the correct options in vlan 10 to tell the phone to use valan 2 for voip your are good.  your dhcp server for vlan 10 would have a default gateway of the firewall connected to the 10 meg circuit.

Jump to solution

Thanks Brian.

What option do I need to set the Phone VLAN?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I like to use "switchport voice vlan 2?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

this may be a better example of what your port shold look like:

interface eth 0/1

spanning-tree edgeport

no shutdown

switchport voice vlan 2

this is what you can do with a range command:

int ran eth 0/1-12

switchport voice vlan 2

!      if you have trunk on the port add "switchport mode access"  this will have the effect of only allowing vlan 10 and 2 on the port.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

jonhutchins,

Did brian_ctl's voice vlan suggestion resolve your issue?  If so can you come back to this thread and select his answer as the Correct answer with the applicable buttons so it will mark the thread as containing a solution?

Thanks,

Matt

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post to unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Matt

Jump to solution

Sorry.  I should have been more clear in my question.  What DHCP option do I need to pass to the phone to tell it the voice vlan?

Your cisco config is correct, however, without telling the phone that the voice vlan is "2" it doesn't work in my network configuration.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

The DHCP options depend on the phone model:

Option 66 for Polycom Phones

Option 157 for ADTRAN IP Phones

• Example String: TftpServers=0.0.0.0,FtpServers=10.10.20.1:/ADTRAN,FtpLogin=polycomftp,FtpPassword=password,Layer2Tagging=True,VlanID=2

The VLAN information for Polycom phones is contained in the polycomboot.cfg file (not in a DHCP option).  After the phone downloads this file via FTP it will reboot in the VLAN specified in that file.

These guides explain the boot process for each type of phone:

Thanks,

Matt