Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlevasseur
Contributor
Contributor

Install/Configure Conference Bridge

Jump to solution

I know we were sold this option originally, but I never followed through with it.  Our license states we have 6 conference seats, but I can't seem to find any information on setting up the "Conference Bridge".  I dial 7050 on our Netvanta 7100 and it goes to a fast busy.  Is there more instruction somewhere on setup?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Install/Configure Conference Bridge

Jump to solution

That is normal. Those are for the “Server Application Services” service

If you open up the Services application on the 420, check and see if all the SIP services are running. There should be 6 of them.

-Mark

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
28 Replies

Jump to solution

It looks like I should be able to create a "conference" user in the system, but no such option exists for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I assume you are referring to the BCS, where you have the UC Server attached to the 7100.

If that is the case. You will need to create a separate SIP Trunk to the UC server using port 5060 and then for the Trunk Group, you will need to go to the Detailed View – Permit/Restriction Call Template and add 7050 as the only number to permit.

Let me know if you need more detailed info on the steps.

-Mark

Jump to solution

Yes, we have a netvanta 7100 and a U420 UC Server.

More detail is always nice.  I'd rather not mess up our phone system today.

Jump to solution

It looks like that is already set up.  We have an entry in trunk accounts for "Audio Conference Server" and it is pointing to the UCServer on port 5060. 

Also appears the group is set up for extension 7050.

Jump to solution

After doing some port scans, nothing is listening on 5060.

Jump to solution

And after more digging, in the UC Client Administration I don't have a port configured for 5060 or an identity for the conference system.  So it appears the technician went that far and then missed the last few steps.  So it appears I just need the instructions for setting up the UC server portion.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

We go over all of this in the ATSP/UCSS training class and I highly recommend that training if you are using BCS.

And for the 7100, I recommend the ATSP/UCAS class.

We both both a two week virtual class, two days a week, for both and we also have a self study kit available. GO to adtran.com then training for more info.

Steps.

-Go to voice / trunks / trunk accounts. Give it a name like Conf Bridge type is sip and click add

- ip the sip server address field set it to ip and enter ip of U420, scroll down and click Apply.

-to go trunks / trunk groups give it a name and click add

-click add members and add your conf sip trunk account

-scroll down and expand detailed view – permission/restriction call temp and then click Configure template button

-in the template field under permit, enter 7050 and leave cost blank, click add

-save config and test.

-

-Mark

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

You have to have the ECS communication system configured on the u420 if you want to use the conf bridge, if you log into the server and open up the NetVanta UC Client application and what do you see listed under Communication Systems?

The other stuff I sent you was what you had to do on the 7100. You also have to do stuff on the u420

-Mark

Jump to solution

NetVanta7100

-Options

Audio Conferencing System

-Routing

-Services

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

The one called Audio Conf System is your ECS

If you open up a cmd prompt on your 420 and type netstat –a

See if you see a UDP listing that looks like this:

UDP 192.168.10.116:5060 :

That means it is listening for 5060

-Mark

Jump to solution

No, there is nothing on port 5060.  Also in the UC Client under ports there are only two devices listed Audio Conference Server listening on 5091 and NetVanta7100 Listening on 5090 (voice mail).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

That is normal. Those are for the “Server Application Services” service

If you open up the Services application on the 420, check and see if all the SIP services are running. There should be 6 of them.

-Mark

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

That seemed to take care of it.  They are all set to manual startup so I changed them to auto.

Is there any information on administering the Conference Bridge?  What I'm wondering is if I assign a DID number to the conference bridge can anyone call in and just create a conference? Which seems like a security issue.  Or does someone have to start the conference inside the building?

Thanks for all the help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Perfect! Let us know if you have any further problems.

-Mark

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I missed this part of your reply:

Is there any information on administering the Conference Bridge? What I'm wondering is if I assign a DID number to the conference bridge can anyone call in and just create a conference? Which seems like a security issue. Or does someone have to start the conference inside the building?

Yes, you can create an auto attendant identity of the DID and then create a service to password protect the conference bridge and then send the call to the 7050 internal number.

If you would like steps on how to do this let me know and I can create a quick how-to-do video and post it for you.

Let me know.

-Mark

Jump to solution

That's not really "secure" in my opinion.  Someone gives that passcode out to whoever and suddenly your conference bridge can be used for questionable activities.  Might be something to note for a future release, I'm actually surprised that by default anyone can just create a conference.

But it works!  And for my current needs I can have people call in to the main number and ask to be transferred to the conference bridge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

That was just the easy way, you can make it as secure as you want.

You can even do a user ID / password prompt, you can even log all activity to a database to see who uses the bridge, you can then check that DB to see if it is being abused by one user, then if needed, change the ID/ password or just delete it.

If that is not secure in your opinion, please let us know what you should be added to do this.

Or you can just have receptionist transfer to the bridge.

-Mark

Jump to solution

Sure, those are all good things but require active monitoring.  Honestly I don't have time every day to check a database dump of activity.  The user account control is already there in the Software, a checkbox "Can create conference room" is perfect.  The conference bridge should be able to see who is calling, check the user account for the privilege, create or deny.

The only issue then is if you are a true user and want to create a conference from outside.  So then drop to a extension/pin prompt (credentials are already there in the voicemail).

Just my thoughts on the matter.  I know someone that worked for another local company that had a similar setup and it took them a while to find out that a group of people were using it for a *** chat hotline.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

For internal calls, we can do a user check and see if they are a user and then verify them based on their voicemail PIN and allow them into conference. That can be done.

If you are true user calling in from the outside, then we can verify user by prompting them for their mailbox id and voicemail pin and allow them in. That can be done also. But how is that any different than someone giving someone their mailbox ID and password and then they can now call in anytime?

-Mark