cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reaser
New Contributor

Change BGP Address Neighbor

Jump to solution

We are moving locations and had managed services that we've now let go. I have no real experience with editing this information. I've consoled into routers/switches and pulled down configs via phone support and that's about it. I can login to the web interface and change the main IP but for the BGP need to console in.

I grabbed the OS manual and using telnet and help digging around to try and get an idea of what's going on.

Is there a set of simple commands to simply change the BGP neighbor address? Boss is too cheap to pay and i'm the only IT guy. Lucky me.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Change BGP Address Neighbor

Jump to solution

Reaser,

Thanks for posting!  You should save a copy of the running configuration before making any changes.  Also, you should look at the current BGP configuration so that you make sure you have all the neighbor-specific settings that your service provider may require.  Some of these settings, like the IP addresses of BGP neighbors and the AS numbers may need to be verified with your ISP.  Below is an example of removing one BGP neighbor and adding another.  This assumes you are running a firmware version prior to R10.1.0 (or 18.03.00 for data product lines).

TA900#enable

(password)

TA900#configure terminal

TA900(config)#router bgp <AS number>

TA900(config-bgp)no neighbor <IP address>      //This removes the current neighbor

TA900(config-bgp)#neighbor <IP address>      //This adds the new neighbor.   

TA900(config-bgp-neighbor)#remote-as <AS number>

TA900(config-bgp-neighbor)#end

TA900#copy running-config startup-config

Starting with R10.1.0 (or 18.03.00 for data product lines), and the introduction of IPv6, the command syntax is slightly different.

TA900#enable

(password)

TA900#configure terminal

TA900(config-bgp)no neighbor <IP address>      //This removes the current neighbor

TA900(config-bgp-neighbor)#exit

TA900(config-bgp)#address-family ipv4

TA900(config-bgp-ipv4)#neighbor <IP address>

TA900(config-bgp-ipv4)#end

More details about BGP configuration options can be found in the following documents.

Configuring BGP in AOS Releases Prior to 18.03.00/R10.1.0

Configuring BGP in AOS 18.03/R10.1.0 or Later

Thanks!

David

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Reaser,

Thanks for posting!  You should save a copy of the running configuration before making any changes.  Also, you should look at the current BGP configuration so that you make sure you have all the neighbor-specific settings that your service provider may require.  Some of these settings, like the IP addresses of BGP neighbors and the AS numbers may need to be verified with your ISP.  Below is an example of removing one BGP neighbor and adding another.  This assumes you are running a firmware version prior to R10.1.0 (or 18.03.00 for data product lines).

TA900#enable

(password)

TA900#configure terminal

TA900(config-bgp-neighbor)#end

Starting with R10.1.0 (or 18.03.00 for data product lines), and the introduction of IPv6, the command syntax is slightly different.

TA900#enable

(password)

TA900#configure terminal

TA900(config-bgp-neighbor)#exit

TA900(config-bgp)#address-family ipv4

TA900(config-bgp-ipv4)#neighbor <IP address>

TA900(config-bgp-ipv4)#end

More details about BGP configuration options can be found in the following documents.

Configuring BGP in AOS Releases Prior to 18.03.00/R10.1.0

Configuring BGP in AOS 18.03/R10.1.0 or Later

Thanks!

David

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Reaser,

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post and unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

David