cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deepbluetech
New Contributor

Firmware upgrades for Total Access 900 series equipment

Jump to solution

I am currently trying to figure out issues we have with some of our ADTRAN 900 series devices at an apartment complex that we administer, and I noticed a lot of these devices have really old software. Im wondering if I have to upgrade the devices to each new firmware that has come out, or if I can just bypass straight to the newest version. We are using mostly 2nd generations, but 1st gens are also scattered through.

Firmware that we currently have in place:

A1.02.00.e

A4.09.00.E

A4.11.00.E

Thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Firmware upgrades for Total Access 900 series equipment

Jump to solution

For the most part you can just upgrade.  Reading the release notes and saving your configuration to a file first is always a good idea.

Gen. 1 units won't run the latest code, I think the last available is A4.11.

When you upgrade, some configuration commands will change automatically as part of the change process.  For example, the keyword "ip" is added to many commands referencing IPv4 addresses because the unit is now capable of IPv6 as well. This process generally just works.

One caution is that if you ever go back to an earlier firmware, the configuration modifications made by the upgrade process won't be understood. Earlier firmware will treat the modified commands with "ip" as an error.

If you have a configuration management system such as RANCID, this won't be an issue.  Otherwise save your existing configurations to a file just in case.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

For the most part you can just upgrade.  Reading the release notes and saving your configuration to a file first is always a good idea.

Gen. 1 units won't run the latest code, I think the last available is A4.11.

When you upgrade, some configuration commands will change automatically as part of the change process.  For example, the keyword "ip" is added to many commands referencing IPv4 addresses because the unit is now capable of IPv6 as well. This process generally just works.

One caution is that if you ever go back to an earlier firmware, the configuration modifications made by the upgrade process won't be understood. Earlier firmware will treat the modified commands with "ip" as an error.

If you have a configuration management system such as RANCID, this won't be an issue.  Otherwise save your existing configurations to a file just in case.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Patrick,

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post and unmark it.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

David