cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwink
New Contributor III

I'm running VRRP with 2 Gen 3 908e's.

Jump to solution

So far I'm just tracking LAN and WAN side faults and it's working fine for hardware failure however I want to add redundant paths out that are layer 2 only back to my layer 3 device. There are a few switch hops involved now.  Is there a way I can implement a heart beat keep alive between the 908e's and their upstream gateway?

Labels (3)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: I'm running VRRP with 2 Gen 3 908e's.

Jump to solution

A network diagram would be useful, but generally yes. You can build ICMP probes and track the state. You'll want to specify the source IP from which the probe is generated to avoid a "sneak path" making the probe appear good when the backup path routes to the remote end.

If it is strictly layer 2 paths that you are looking to protect, you will want to do that with spanning-tree and not VRRP.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

A network diagram would be useful, but generally yes. You can build ICMP probes and track the state. You'll want to specify the source IP from which the probe is generated to avoid a "sneak path" making the probe appear good when the backup path routes to the remote end.

If it is strictly layer 2 paths that you are looking to protect, you will want to do that with spanning-tree and not VRRP.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Mr. Winkleblack,

I just wanted to check back with you on this post.  Were you able to find a solution?  I agree with Jay that we typically use a Network Monitor solution (probes and tracks) for WAN failover.  Feel free to respond if you have further questions or updates.

Thanks!

David

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Jim,

I marked a correct answer for this post.  However, if you have any follow up questions or updates, please feel free to add them on this post.

Regards,

David