cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

QoS Mapping - Map Number Priority

I understand that QoS Maps are processed by lowered numbered maps will be checked and processed first.

My question is: Are the QoS maps processed lower to higher per interface,  or lower to higher on all map numbers in the config?

What happens if you have 2 with the same number?

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: QoS Mapping - Map Number Priority

I was doing some research on this subject and found this thread QoS - Bandwidth Guaranteed? It does answer the question on the number sequence. They are processed Lower to higher. I have not seen anything posted on having duplicate entries.

ujjvalkoul
New Contributor II

Lets bring up with brian

Call him

Ujjval K

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can have more than one QoS map, each with multiple sequence numbers.  You may use the same sequence numbers in each of your maps if you like.  Example:

!

qos map ExampleA 10

match dscp 46

priority 120

qos map ExampleA 20

match dscp 40

priority 96

!

qos map ExampleB 10

match dscp 46

priority 128

qos map ExampleB 20

match dscp 32

priority 128

qos map ExampleB 30

match dscp 20

priority 256

!

Then you would assign the QoS maps to interfaces.  An interface can use only one QoS map (either qos-policy out ExampleA or qos-policy out ExampleB in this example) .  The same QoS map can be used by more than one interface, or different interfaces can use different QoS maps.  Within each interface/map, traffic will be prioritized as you described, with lowest sequence number being processed first.  Here's what interfaces might look like:

!

interface eth 0/1

description MPLS

ip address  172.16.2.1  255.255.255.0

ip access-policy Private

traffic-shape rate 3000000

qos-policy out ExampleA

no shutdown

!

!

interface eth 0/2

description ISP

ip address  1.2.3.4  255.255.255.0

ip access-policy Public

traffic-shape rate 5000000

qos-policy out ExampleB

no shutdown

!

Note that cases where your WAN speed is less than the physical interface link speed (e.g., a 3 Mbps MPLS router hands off via a 100 Mbps Fast Ethernet link), you need to assign a traffic-shaping rate to your IP interface that informs the ADTRAN unit when prioritization should occur.  Without this parameter, it will consider the physical link speed (100 Mbps) the actual usable speed on the interface.

The guides and provide excellent information about QoS in AOS, best practices and GUI/CLI configuration examples!

Best,

CJ

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

The maps are in order low to high per map.  Each map is typically applied to one interface but if applied to more than one, they are evaluated per interface.  Duplicate numbers in different maps are not an issue and won't cause problems.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tec-clec,

I went ahead and marked a couple of Helpful Answers on this post so that others who search the forum might see them.  If you have further questions, feel free to post them here and I'll be happy to assist however I can.

Thanks,

David