cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maschmutat
New Contributor

Setting up TA908e to connect 2 sip circuits from CenturyLInk

I have two SIP circuits from CenturyLink and I am not sure how to setup the TA908e to utilized these circuits.  I have setup the network interface and the first 2 T1 and it seems that the circuits are up.  However, I am not sure how to setup the voice portion of the TA908e.  Any information or instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jim Aschmutat

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Setting up TA908e to connect 2 sip circuits from CenturyLInk

SIP circuits aren't actual physical circuits. They're set up as voice trunks, type "SIP". You create a voice trunk, enter the IP address or hostname of the SIP server provided by Centurylink, and if authentication or registration is required, specify the credentials. Create a second trunk for your second SIP server. Any interfaces used as an exit point to reach the remote side must be configured with "media-gateway ip primary" and you need to turn on SIP globally on the box.

When this is done successfully you should be able to receive calls. To place outbound calls you'll need to create one or more voice grouped-trunks and specify the digit patterns and "cost" to route to each of the SIP trunks. Cost is used to prioritize call routing, for example if one trunk is a backup, or one primarily for international and one for local.

It's a good idea to create an access-list for just the specified endpoints of the SIP servers and any IP phones, etc. and restrict SIP to that list. Many bad actors are actively probing for SIP-enabled IP addresses to exploit for placing expensive calls.

Thanks for the help.  This makes perfect sense.  I have a question though, on the Adtran in ports T1 and T2 I have a separate T1 from CenturyLink plugged in.  I only one ip address given to me for the SIP server.  So how do I assign both T1 interfaces to the same SIP Server.  Also I am assuming that the Ethernet port that connects the Adtran to my InGate Siparator which in turn will route my SIP traffic to the Shoretel switches needs to be a media gateway?  I really do appreciate the help.

Jim

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

maschmutat wrote:

Thanks for the help. This makes perfect sense. I have a question though, on the Adtran in ports T1 and T2 I have a separate T1 from CenturyLink plugged in. I only one ip address given to me for the SIP server. So how do I assign both T1 interfaces to the same SIP Server.

The SIP server you enter into the voice trunk is an IP address or hostname (that resolves to an IP address). It isn't a physical connection. It is just an address that the TA900 uses as the destination for SIP packets. Your IP routing configuration will determine the path the packets take.

Are both T1 circuits bonded into a multilink bundle?

Also I am assuming that the Ethernet port that connects the Adtran to my InGate Siparator which in turn will route my SIP traffic to the Shoretel switches needs to be a media gateway? I really do appreciate the help.

You really don't need or want the InGate Siparator. It adds complexity and serves no useful function in this scenario. If the Shoretel expects SIP, simply configure it as a voice trunk on the Ethernet port directly. If it expects PRI, you can configure and connect PRIs from the Shoretel directly to T1s 3 and/or 4 on the TA908e.

A diagram or description would be helpful.