cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mottycruz
New Contributor

how to configure Total Access 904 2nd gen with Asterisk

Hello, I am trying to configure AdTran 904 2nd Gen with Asterisk. On /etc/dahdi/system.conf

# PRI to PBX

span=1,1,0,esf,b8zs

bchan=1-23

dchan=24

# PRI to Telco

span=2,0,0,esf,b8zs

bchan=25-47

dchan=48

in /etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi.con

[trunkgroups]

[channels]

; PRI to PBX

switchtype=national

context=from-telco

signalling=pri_cpe

callerid=asreceived

group=1

channel => 1-23

; pri to Telco

context=from-pbx

switchtype=national

signalling=pri_net

group=2

channel => 25-47

In AdTran under Trunk accounts

Trunk ID: T01
Type: ISDN

Supervision: ISDN

On the asterisk server:

*CLI>

-- Accepting call from '7164445555' to '1006' on channel 0/2, span 1

-- Executing [1006@from-telco:1] Dial("DAHDI/i1/7164445555-1e3c", "dahdi/g2/1006") in new stack

-- Requested transfer capability: 0x00 - SPEECH

-- Called dahdi/g2/1006

-- Span 1: Channel 0/2 got hangup request, cause 31

-- Hungup 'DAHDI/i2/1006-92'

== Spawn extension (from-telco, 1006, 1) exited non-zero on 'DAHDI/i1/7164445555-1e3c'

-- Hungup 'DAHDI/i1/7164445555-1e3c'

*CLI>

any ideas?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: how to configure Total Access 904 2nd gen with Asterisk

Motty, could you clarify how everything is connected here? A network diagram would be helpful. Thanks

Hello Jay, Thanks for your support!

here is a raw diagram of my current setup:
PRI --> Asterisk Server(boise) ---> (SIP port 5060) AdTran 904 2nd --> FXS 0/1 Fax Machine.

Boise sip.conf:

[adtran904]

type=friend

dtmfmode=rfc2833

context=inbound

insecure=port,invite

disallow=all

allow=ulaw

allow=alaw

host=192.168.8.44

nat=no

canreinvite=no

Boise extensions.conf:

exten => 1092,1,Dial(SIP/adtran7/${EXTEN})

fax machine receives faxes but is not consistent, I get 1 out of 3 sent. Also, I am unable to figure out how to setup a trunk to be able to send outgoing fax through Asterisk server.

Any support on this issues is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Motty

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Are all of these devices at the same location?

If so, consider terminating the PRI from telco on the 904. Clock from telco PRI. Use SIP to feed the Asterisk from the 904, not PRI. Hang the fax off of an FXS port on the 904.

Advantages are that the fax stays TDM the whole way through, the Asterisk stays strictly SIP, and you're only dealing with one clock source.

If there's some design reason that forces the Asterisk to terminate the PRI from telco, make sure that the Asterisk takes clock from the telco T1 and passes that clock through to the TA904. Have the system clock on the TA904 set to take clock from the T1 connected to the Asterisk.

The fewer devices and conversions between the telco source PRI and the fax machine the better.

If you need to feed the Asterisk with TDM, consider going to a 908e model so that you can have two PRI interfaces. (Gen 3 will let you have up to four PRIs but only 60 TDM/RTP conversions).

Thanks Jayh! unfortunately that's not a call I can make. At this point I can't figure out a way to make outgoing calls from devices attached to fx01. Is there documentation on how to accomplish this task? I am able to received fax but not able to send fax. outgoing call are not hitting our asterisk server.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Motty, if you haven't already, I'd suggest opening up a ticket with support. There are several moving parts to this that will be much easier to troubleshoot live with potential remote access. Thanks