Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tetu04
New Contributor III

Back-up config files set up in n-Command

Jump to solution

Hello all,

I am well aware that his topic has been touched on before, but I did not see full explanation of the issue. The main device I work with is the Adtran 908e. I pulled up two sites in n-Command and the configuration is almost identical. I am currently looking at two different sites for the sake of this discussion. For one of the sites, in the Backup Files tab, the backup points increment hourly but no configuration is stored. The other site has the most recent backup point dating to 2 months ago but there is startup-config file associated to that date. The config has the timezone, ntp, and auto-link all set up the same. When I do a #show auto-link, the status is discovered for both. What is the next troubleshooting step I need to take in order to set this up the correct way? How does n-command grab the config from the devices that it talks to? Thank you!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tetu04
New Contributor III

Re: Back-up config files set up in n-Command

Jump to solution

Hi Levi

I found the issue and finally corrected it. The issue was in the Cisco ASA and even though the ports were open, there was an issue with the NAT statements. Thanks for all the help.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

Thank you for asking this question in the support community.  When a device checks in via auto-link, the device sends a checksum of the startup-configuration file.  If that checksum differs from what is stored as the last backed up configuration in the n-Command MSP, then the new configuration is downloaded to the server. 

If you haven't had a chance to review the following post, it may be helpful: 

https://supportforums.adtran.com/message/5047#5047

Also, are you running current firmware versions on the ADTRAN TA 908e units, as well as the n-Command MSP?

Levi

tetu04
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

Hi Levi. Thank you for the reply. I have port 443 enabled. I had the command <auto-link server x.x.x.x> and I also added the <:443>. I am am receiving backup points every hour but they are blank. On a different 908e the last backup point was sometime in April and the config is present but mind you, that device only has <auto-link server x.x.x.x> without the port at the end. I understand how the device sends of the checksum startup-configuration file and the server downloads a new if it differs, but I don't understand why I am receiving all these blank hourly backup points. Could you point me in the right direction on what I can check on next? My config currently has snmp agent not enabled by the way.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

When you get a chance, would it be possible to reply with the firmware versions of the AOS units, as well as the n-Command MSP software version?

Levi

tetu04
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

The firmware of the AOS units is R10.6.0.E and the n-Command MSP version is 6.1.3-10018.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

If you are receiving blank backup points, then most likely you don't have the correct ports opened.  I suggest you review the link I sent you previously, as well as navigate to the following within n-Command MSP:  Help > About n-Command MSP > Release Notes

Levi

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

You'll see a file startup-config and also startup-config.bak .

On the device with no backup in N-Command, are both files the same size and on the one with a backup are they different?

When you execute the "save" or "write mem", the current running configuration is moved to startup-config and the current startup-config is moved to startup-config.bak .

So...  If you save or write mem twice after the last change, then both startup-config and startup-config.bak will be the same as the current running configuration and there won't be a different backup configuration to save or display.

tetu04
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

I have double checked the config on the Cisco ASA and port 443 is open:

<access-list outside_access_in extended permit tcp any host x.x.x.x eq https> and also on every adran 908e that I monitor I have <http secure-server> which           opens port 443. On the  Devices tab from n-Command sever, Manage Access has port 443 and Method https. is there any other command that should be enabled on the adtran      908e besides <auto-link> and  <auto-link server x.x.x.x> ?

tetu04
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

Device that takes backup points hourly with empty config files:

5885 startup-config    

5806 startup-config.bak

Device that has a working backup config, but last backup point was performed on April 2013 :

9568 startup-config

9582 startup-config.bak

tetu04
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

Hi Levi

I found the issue and finally corrected it. The issue was in the Cisco ASA and even though the ports were open, there was an issue with the NAT statements. Thanks for all the help.

0 Kudos