Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hubtech
New Contributor II

IP 706 Will not download from ftp or tftp server

Jump to solution

Hey guys,

I picked up a new client who uses a Netvanta 7100 for their Phone Server.  I'm having problems getting 1 remote phone (of about 😎 to register back to the server.  I'm currently running at all remote sites a Cisco ASA 5505 IP SEC VPN back to the Netvanta 7100 at their headquarters.  All other remote sites are working great.  I've tried to swap out the phone, check the traffic logs, no problems.  I can ping from Phone to Netvanta and from Netvanta to Phone without issue.  Allother traffic works fine as well.  Can someone refresh me on the necessary settings on the Phone itself?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: IP 706 Will not download from ftp or tftp server

Jump to solution

The DHCP configuration of the ASA will need to be altered to include option 157 with the proper credentials.  An example string is shown below, with the username and password highlighted.

TftpServers=0.0.0.0,FtpServers=10.10.20.1:/ADTRAN,FtpLogin=polycomftp,FtpPassword=password,Layer2Tagging=True,VlanID=2

Thanks,
Matt

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

What type of phones are you using? Does the phone appear to download its configuration properly? Have you tried to port mirror the phone to see if it's attempting to register?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

If this remote phone connects to the 7100 over a VPN you should be able to verify the phone is downloading its configuration files by running a debug ip ftp-server from the 7100 while the remote IP 706 is booting up.  If you do not see the phone login and attempt to download files in that debug you should check the DHCP server the remote phone is using and ensure option 157 is set correctly.   This guide covers the boot process as well as how to troubleshoot:

Thanks,
Matt

hubtech
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

OK this could be good. I'm getting this error:

USER COMMAND - Password required for 'admin'

FTP: User command - Login Incorrect

How do i change the login information on the phone?

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 11:28 AM, matt

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

That is a good start, thanks for providing that information.  I know you are using an IP 706, but I will include instructions for both ADTRAN IP 700 phones and Polycom phones in case others find this post in the future.

This process depends on if you are using DHCP where this remote phone is or if you are programming it manually.

DHCP

For DHCP you will need to use the following options depending on the phone model:

Option 66 for Polycom Phones

Option 157 for ADTRAN IP Phones

• Example String: TftpServers=0.0.0.0,FtpServers=10.10.20.1:/ADTRAN,FtpLogin=polycomftp,FtpPassword=password,Layer2Tagging=True,VlanID=2

Manual

To configure the boot server manually use the instructions below depending on the phone model:

ADTRAN Phones

NOTE: This is not supported on ADTRAN Phones with R1 firmware (1.3.16 and earlier).   If you need to upgrade IP 700 phone firmware see this guide: . On R2 firmware follow the steps below:

• Press Menu > Phone Settings > Network

• Enter the password  456  if the phone has been previously configured or enter 1234 if the phone is new out of the box

• Select Server Menu > Edit Server Type > Select FTP and press Ok

• Edit the Address to enter the WAN IP address of the NV7100 with a /adtran path at the end (example 4.4.4.4/adtran)

• Edit the Login and Password to enter the FTP username and password used on the NV7100 (the default is polycomftp and password)

Polycom Phones

• Press Menu > Settings > Advanced

• Enter the password 456

• Select Admin Settings > Network Configuration

• Select Server Menu

• Edit the Server Type to be FTP

• Edit the Server Address and enter the WAN IP address of the NV7100 with a /Polycom path (example 4.4.4.4/Polycom)

• When entering the Server Address use the 1/A/a softkey to switch between alpha and numeric characters and use the * button to enter the decimals for the IP address

• Edit the Server User and Server Password to enter the FTP username and password used on the NV7100 (the default is polycomftp and password)

• After entering this information press the Back softkey twice and select Save Config to preserve these changes

Thanks,
Matt

hubtech
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

Where do I input the line? It's trying to log onto the FTP server using admin as the username. I can't find where to change the user and password.

Sent from my iPhone

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

hubtech,

As I outlined in my last post this depends on a couple of factors.  Are you using a DHCP server at the remote site for this phone?  If you are programming it manually you have to be running R2 firmware (1.3.x will not work) in order to have the new FTP menu options available so you can edit the username and password the phone uses.

Thanks,
Matt

hubtech
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

Dhcp server is a Cisco Asa 5505. They are running the old firmware.

Thanks,

Message was edited by: matt - removed personal contact information

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

The DHCP configuration of the ASA will need to be altered to include option 157 with the proper credentials.  An example string is shown below, with the username and password highlighted.

TftpServers=0.0.0.0,FtpServers=10.10.20.1:/ADTRAN,FtpLogin=polycomftp,FtpPassword=password,Layer2Tagging=True,VlanID=2

Thanks,
Matt

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

DHCP option 157 on a server local to the remote phone.  Otherwise you need to upgrade the IP 706 to R2 firmware to manually program in the FTP settings with the instructions above.

Thanks,
Matt

hubtech
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

Great news!!!! I can now see the Phone connecting to the FTP server, but

this is the error i receive on the Adtran

NV7100#FTP: USER command - Password required for 'polycomftp'.

FTP: USER command -  User 'polycomftp' logged in .

FTP: TYPE command - Type is set to I.

FTP: PORT command - opening port from 192.168.40.7.

FTP: NLST command - 'adtran_00a0c8615788.txt' cannot access.

FTP: USER command - Password required for 'polycomftp'.

FTP: PORT command - opening port from 192.168.40.7.

FTP: NLST command - 'adtran_000000000000.txt' cannot access.

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Message was edited by: matt - removed personal information

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Can you post a screenshot of the DHCP Option 157 string being used on the ASA?  My first guess is the /ADTRAN path is missing or the unit is not using CFLASH as the default file system for FTP with the command ip ftp server default-filesystem cflash.  If that were the case I would not expect the local and other remote phones to work though.

Thanks,
Matt

hubtech
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

I'm on the road and will have to post screenshot later. I did not have to do this with any other location or phone.

hubtech
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

Capture.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

The debug never showed the directory changing to the ADTRAN folder.  I called it out in the example debug below:

FTP: USER command - Password required for 'polycomftp'.

FTP: CWD command - directory changed to 'ADTRAN'.

FTP: PORT command - opening port from 10.10.20.3.

FTP: BINARY data connection for ls (10.10.20.3,1025).

FTP: NLST command - 'adtran_00a0c84516f4.txt' transfer complete.

FTP: PORT command - opening port from 10.10.20.3.

FTP: BINARY data connection for adtran_00a0c84516f4.txt (10.10.20.3,1026).

FTP: RETR command - BINARY transfer complete.

I would suggest defaulting that remote phone (Menu > 2. Phone Settings > 9. Reset > hit the Factory softkey > hit the Ok softkey).  If that does not take care of the issue it appears the part of option 157 on the DHCP server that tells the phone to use the /ADTRAN directory is not taking.  I would want to see a packet capture of the DHCP negotiations between that phone and the ASA.

Thanks,
Matt

hubtech
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

OK, I just got some more time to try a reset on the phone and it did make it's file downloads. (i'm doing all of this remotely.  So a Factory Reset allowed the phone to download everything, it still hasn't registered but i'm seeing pre-allocated SIP messages run across the ASA! i'll be on site Monday to see where we are at.  thanks for all your help everyone.

hubtech
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

Sorry to dredge this back up but I'm still having issues with this phone.  The phone is now registered and I can initiate internal calls, after 5 seconds both sides go silent. any ideas?  If I dial my cell phone from the IP706, i will receive a call but it is silent on both sides.  I'm desperate.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

hubtech,

This is related to the issue from your other post. Let's resume working it there: Re: IP 706 not registering across Cisco ASA

Since we resolved the original FTP issues, can you come back to this thread and mark a Correct Answer?  That will flag it so others know a solution to that particular problem exists in this thread.

Thanks,

Matt

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

hubtech,

Since we are working out the remaining separate issues on the other thread I went ahead and marked this one with a Correct Answer to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post and unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons. 

Thanks,

Matt